[ANN] dtas - duct tape audio suite for *nix (uses SoX)

[ANN] dtas - duct tape audio suite for *nix (uses SoX)

Eric Wong
Hopefully this type of announcement is OK here, if not, I'll stop.

dtas contains a bunch of Ruby scripts, but its flagship is dtas-player,
a music player which uses sox/play by default (but can run any arbitrary
commands if told to do so).

For experienced SoX users, dtas-player and client scripts gives the
power to interactively change the effects/filter chain for sox
without interrupting playback.

dtas-player is a pipeline/process manager (not unlike a POSIX shell)
implemented in Ruby for managing sox(1)/play(1) processes.  I'm not
using libsox(3) at all.

dtas-player works like the following shell snippet, with some exceptions
described in the comments below:

        SOXFMT='-ts32 -c2 -r44100'
        (
                # Unlike this shell example, dtas-player lets you add to
                # LIST_OF_FILES at any time.
                for $INFILE in $LIST_OF_FILES
                do
                        # And you can change EFFECTS in the middle of
                        # the track without introducing audible gaps!
                        # You can also seek (implemented via trim) or
                        # seek within INFILE
                        sox "$INFILE" $SOXFMT - $TRIMFX $RGFX $EFFECTS

                        # The SOXFX, TRIMFX and RGFX variables are
                        # automatically set by dtas-player for
                        # implementing seek and ReplayGain support

                        # Furthermore, if you want to use a feature
                        # in ecasound, you can add it to the pipeline:
                        # sox "$INFILE" $SOXFMT - $TRIMFX $RGFX $EFFECTS | \
                        #   ecasound $ECAFMT -i stdin $ECAFMT -o stdout \
                        #     -elv2:$LV2PLUGIN
                        #
                        # (Or any other command, really)
                done
        ) | play $SOXFMT -
        # And you're not limited to one play(1) process, either.
        # You may tee the output to multiple play(1) processes,
        # or any arbitrary shell pipeline (ssh $MACHINE play),
        # or save the file (sox $SOXFMT - /tmp/dump.sox)

I'm obviously biased, but even at this early stage it is my
favorite music player, ever :)

Note: this requires AF_UNIX, SOCK_SEQPACKET which is (afaik) only in
Linux kernels and FreeBSD 9.x.  I think falling back to SOCK_DGRAM could
be fine in the future.

Read more:

* http://dtas.80x24.org/README
* http://dtas.80x24.org/INSTALL
* http://dtas.80x24.org/dtas-player.txt
* git clone git://80x24.org/dtas
License: GPLv3 or later (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt)

Thanks for reading!

--
Eric Wong

Re: [ANN] dtas - duct tape audio suite for *nix (uses SoX)

Ulrich Klauer-2
Eric Wong wrote:

> dtas-player is a pipeline/process manager (not unlike a POSIX shell)
> implemented in Ruby for managing sox(1)/play(1) processes.  I'm not
> using libsox(3) at all.

Very interesting approach! Because of the Ruby prerequisites, I
haven't been able to try it yet, just read the documentation.

I've set a link on the "Links" page (section "Projects that use SoX").

Ulrich

Ulrich Klauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > dtas-player is a pipeline/process manager (not unlike a POSIX shell)
> > implemented in Ruby for managing sox(1)/play(1) processes.  I'm not
> > using libsox(3) at all.
>
> Very interesting approach! Because of the Ruby prerequisites, I
> haven't been able to try it yet, just read the documentation.

Thanks for the interest!  I just pushed out a 0.1.I prerelease with
avconv/ffmpeg support early this morning, too.

The Ruby world moves fast, which unfortunately can be a bit hectic for
folks not familiar with it.  Please let me know if you have any
questions/comments, especially about installation.  I think 1.9.3
(out-of-the-box on Debian 7.0) is fine, actually.  Not sure about
other distros, however.

> I've set a link on the "Links" page (section "Projects that use SoX").

Thanks again!

Eric Wong <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ulrich Klauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Very interesting approach! Because of the Ruby prerequisites, I
> > haven't been able to try it yet, just read the documentation.
>
> The Ruby world moves fast, which unfortunately can be a bit hectic for
> folks not familiar with it.  Please let me know if you have any
> questions/comments, especially about installation.  I think 1.9.3
> (out-of-the-box on Debian 7.0) is fine, actually.  Not sure about
> other distros, however.

I've pushed out 0.3.0 which fixes compatibility issues for Ruby 1.9.3
builds with Syck for YAML parsing (libyaml/Psych users are unaffected,
but Ruby 1.9.3 on Debian 7.0 still uses Syck).

Full release announcement here:
  http://mid.gmane.org/20130902113724.GB32331@...

I've also updated the installation instructions a small amount here:
  http://dtas.80x24.org/INSTALL
Hopefully it's better for folks unfamiliar with Ruby.

Re: [ANN] dtas - duct tape audio suite for *nix (uses SoX)

Eric Wong
I've just pushed out dtas 0.4.0:

There is a new dtas-splitfx command intended for splitting up
single-track recordings into multiple tracks and applying
effects/comments to each of them.  It was made for splitting recordings
of vinyl records and live concerts.  dtas-splitfx is independent of
dtas-player (but shares some code/conventions).

http://dtas.80x24.org/dtas-splitfx.txt

The dtas-player also gains tracklist support (based on the MPRIS 2.0
spec).  This is another step toward having an MPRIS 2.0-compliant
interface.  There is a "dtas-tl" command helper for using/testing
tracklist functionality.  This helper may be folded into a higher-level
client soon, so it is not recommended as a stable interface.

There are also some minor bugfixes in dtas-player.

The future of dtas will include more support for audio editing
(primarily with sox, but also supporting anything else which works
with pipes and raw audio samples (e.g. ecasound)).

* http://dtas.80x24.org/README
* http://dtas.80x24.org/INSTALL
* http://dtas.80x24.org/NEWS
* git clone git://80x24.org/dtas