Detecting true stereo vs. two-channel mono

Detecting true stereo vs. two-channel mono

Mike Hamilton-6
sox is a great tool for audio processing invoked with simple command line
scripts.

But I have many files which, although purporting to be stereo (soxi reports
"Channels : 2") are really mono: that is, left and right channels are
identical.

Any suggestions for easily detecting such files ?

Re: Detecting true stereo vs. two-channel mono

Ulrich Klauer-2
Mike Hamilton <[hidden email]>:

> But I have many files which, although purporting to be stereo (soxi reports
> "Channels : 2") are really mono: that is, left and right channels are identical.
> Any suggestions for easily detecting such files ?

You could run them through "remix 1,2i stats". This is the difference of the two channels. If it is zero, they are identical.

Ulrich

Re: Detecting true stereo vs. two-channel mono

ashayk
Maybe compare RMS across channels?

Re: Detecting true stereo vs. two-channel mono

Mike Hamilton-6
>> But I have many files which, although purporting to be stereo (soxi
>> reports "Channels : 2") are really mono: that is, left and right channels
are identical.
>> Any suggestions for easily detecting such files ?

> You could run them through "remix 1,2i stats". This is the difference of
the two channels. If it is zero, they are identical.

Many thanks to Ulrich for his clever suggestion. It works very well, and in
fact does even more than I had hoped for by giving a number which (for my
purposes) is good enough as an indicator of stereo correlation.

I made a quick-and-dirty but very useful DOS batch file which runs "remix
1,2i stats" and looks for the dB value in the "RMS Pk dB" line of the stats
output.

Problem solved!