Device names for AUDIODEV on Windows/Cygwin?

Device names for AUDIODEV on Windows/Cygwin?

Doug Lee
I frequently want to use `play' to play sound through a non-default
device on Windows, be it through a native Windows or a Cygwin
implementation of SoX. Does anyone know how I could find the valid
device names that would work in the AUDIODEV environment variable so I
could do such a thing?

Thanks much.

--
Doug Lee                 [hidden email]                http://www.dlee.org
SSB BART Group           [hidden email]   http://www.ssbbartgroup.com

Re: Device names for AUDIODEV on Windows/Cygwin?

Doug Cook-2
Try 0, 1, 2, 3, etc.

Sox supports using the descriptive name like "GN 2000 USB OC", but I
haven't found a reliable way to make Windows tell you what the
descriptive name is for a device. Instead, just try "0" and see what
device that turns out to be, then try 1, then try 2, until you hit the
device you were looking for.

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Doug Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I frequently want to use `play' to play sound through a non-default
> device on Windows, be it through a native Windows or a Cygwin
> implementation of SoX. Does anyone know how I could find the valid
> device names that would work in the AUDIODEV environment variable so I
> could do such a thing?
>
> Thanks much.
>

> --
> Doug Lee                 [hidden email]                http://www.dlee.org
> SSB BART Group           [hidden email]   http://www.ssbbartgroup.com
> "Is your cucumber bitter? Throw it away. Are there briars in your
> path? Turn aside. That is enough. Do not go on to say, `Why were
> things of this sort ever brought into the world?'"
> --Marcus Aurelius

Re: Device names for AUDIODEV on Windows/Cygwin?

Doug Lee
Using numbers for devices in AUDIODEV does not seem to work on Windows
at all.

Any other ideas?

On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 03:21:29PM -0700, Doug Cook wrote:
Try 0, 1, 2, 3, etc.

Sox supports using the descriptive name like "GN 2000 USB OC", but I
haven't found a reliable way to make Windows tell you what the
descriptive name is for a device. Instead, just try "0" and see what
device that turns out to be, then try 1, then try 2, until you hit the
device you were looking for.

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Doug Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I frequently want to use `play' to play sound through a non-default
> device on Windows, be it through a native Windows or a Cygwin
> implementation of SoX. Does anyone know how I could find the valid
> device names that would work in the AUDIODEV environment variable so I
> could do such a thing?
>
> Thanks much.
>

> --
> Doug Lee                 [hidden email]                http://www.dlee.org
> SSB BART Group           [hidden email]   http://www.ssbbartgroup.com
> "Is your cucumber bitter? Throw it away. Are there briars in your
> path? Turn aside. That is enough. Do not go on to say, `Why were
> things of this sort ever brought into the world?'"
> --Marcus Aurelius

Doug Lee                 [hidden email]                http://www.dlee.org
SSB BART Group           [hidden email]   http://www.ssbbartgroup.com
What is most worth paying for, you buy with the life you live.
(11/10/07)

Re: Device names for AUDIODEV on Windows/Cygwin?

Jim Bauer
Perhaps "devcon"?
$ devcon listclass media
shows "sound, video and game controllers" whose descriptions could be
extracted.
On 5/18/2013 12:39 PM, Doug Lee wrote:

> Using numbers for devices in AUDIODEV does not seem to work on Windows
> at all.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 03:21:29PM -0700, Doug Cook wrote:
> Try 0, 1, 2, 3, etc.
>
> Sox supports using the descriptive name like "GN 2000 USB OC", but I
> haven't found a reliable way to make Windows tell you what the
> descriptive name is for a device. Instead, just try "0" and see what
> device that turns out to be, then try 1, then try 2, until you hit the
> device you were looking for.
>
> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Doug Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I frequently want to use `play' to play sound through a non-default
>> device on Windows, be it through a native Windows or a Cygwin
>> implementation of SoX. Does anyone know how I could find the valid
>> device names that would work in the AUDIODEV environment variable so I
>> could do such a thing?
>>
>> Thanks much.
>>

>> --
>> Doug Lee                 [hidden email]                http://www.dlee.org
>> SSB BART Group           [hidden email]   http://www.ssbbartgroup.com
>> "Is your cucumber bitter? Throw it away. Are there briars in your
>> path? Turn aside. That is enough. Do not go on to say, `Why were
>> things of this sort ever brought into the world?'"
>> --Marcus Aurelius

Re: Device names for AUDIODEV on Windows/Cygwin?

Doug Cook-2
What is the sox "audio device driver" being used? The support I describe works for the waveaudio driver.

set AUDIODEV=1
play file.mp3
(audio comes out via headphone jack)

set AUDIODEV=1
play file.mp3
(audio comes out via internal speaker)

You can also try being more explicit instead of relying on the AUDIODEV environment variable:
sox file.mp3 -t waveaudio 0
(audio comes out via headphone jack)
sox file.mp3 -t waveaudio 1