Fwd: Convolution?

Charles Céleste Hutchins

Hello,

 Does sox do convolution or are there plans to do it?  I'm particularly interested in convolving two arbitrarily long files together and this seems like a nice 'swiss army knife' kind of feature for sox.

Re: Fwd: Convolution?

Erich Eckner
Hi Les,

I can't imagine an audio-scenario, where this is useful [1]. However, I
can imagine scenarios of data analysis, where it would be useful, but
sox is meant for audio processing, not for data analysis. I would
suggest to use an (also-) data-analysis tool like mathematica for that ...

greetings,
Erich

1] The scenarios where something similar is useful, are covered by
"echo" and "echos".

Am 02.09.2015 um 14:09 schrieb Charles Céleste Hutchins:

> Hello,
>
>  Does sox do convolution or are there plans to do it?  I'm particularly
> interested in convolving two arbitrarily long files together and this
> seems like a nice 'swiss army knife' kind of feature for sox.
>
> cheers,
> Les
>
> --
> Charles Céleste Hutchins
>
> http://www.berkeleynoise.com/celesteh/podcast/
> http://www.bilensemble.co.uk

> Monitor Your Dynamic Infrastructure at Any Scale With Datadog!
> Get real-time metrics from all of your servers, apps and tools
> in one place.
> SourceForge users - Click here to start your Free Trial of Datadog now!
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=241902991&iu=/4140

Re: Fwd: Convolution?

Jesse Ross-5
One nice (free/libre) way to get into this sort of stuff is the seewave library in R. I'm sure there must be ways to get into this domain using Python, too.

jesse

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:34 PM, Erich Eckner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Les,

I can't imagine an audio-scenario, where this is useful [1]. However, I
can imagine scenarios of data analysis, where it would be useful, but
sox is meant for audio processing, not for data analysis. I would
suggest to use an (also-) data-analysis tool like mathematica for that ...

greetings,
Erich

1] The scenarios where something similar is useful, are covered by
"echo" and "echos".

Am 02.09.2015 um 14:09 schrieb Charles Céleste Hutchins:

> Hello,
>
>  Does sox do convolution or are there plans to do it?  I'm particularly
> interested in convolving two arbitrarily long files together and this
> seems like a nice 'swiss army knife' kind of feature for sox.
>
> cheers,
> Les
>
> --
> Charles Céleste Hutchins
>
> http://www.berkeleynoise.com/celesteh/podcast/
> http://www.bilensemble.co.uk

> Monitor Your Dynamic Infrastructure at Any Scale With Datadog!
> Get real-time metrics from all of your servers, apps and tools
> in one place.
> SourceForge users - Click here to start your Free Trial of Datadog now!
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=241902991&iu=/4140

Re: Fwd: Convolution?

René Bastian
Le Thu, 3 Sep 2015 23:42:31 -0700,
Jesse Ross <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> One nice (free/libre) way to get into this sort of stuff is the
> seewave library in R. I'm sure there must be ways to get into this
> domain using Python, too.
>
> jesse

I use Python (2.x or 3.x) with Numpy (fft, ifft, convolution)
and find it easy and fast.

Do you need help?

rb
[...]

--
René Bastian
www.pythoneon.org

RT

Re: Fwd: Convolution?

RT
Octave works great for this, it allows you to create HRTF (Head related transfer functions) which convolution is used in.