How-to: mixing 2 audiofiles with "dynamic" fading out

How-to: mixing 2 audiofiles with "dynamic" fading out

Sebastian Schumacher
Hello,

I would like to automate my podcasts. Therefore I have to mix 2 audofiles. One with my voice and another with a music. Let it be for example: "voice.wav" and "bg-music.wav".

The mixing is quite easy with SoX, but the output-file will always be as long as the full bg-music.wav.

Is there a way to create a fadeout after the time of "voice.wav" plus 5 seconds? Fading out at a fixed time like "fade 0 120 3" works fine, but the thing is, that I do not know the time of voice.wav. It is different every time.

Would be great if someone could help me. Thank you very much,
Sebastian

Re: How-to: mixing 2 audiofiles with "dynamic" fading out

Fmiser
> Sebastian wrote:
>
> I would like to automate my podcasts. Therefore I have to
> mix 2 audofiles. One with my voice and another with a
> music. Let it be for example: "voice.wav" and
> "bg-music.wav".
>
> The mixing is quite easy with SoX, but the output-file will
> always be as long as the full bg-music.wav.
>
> Is there a way to create a fadeout after the time of
> "voice.wav" plus 5 seconds? Fading out at a fixed time like
> "fade 0 120 3" works fine, but the thing is, that I do not
> know the time of voice.wav. It is different every time.

What I understand is you want the music playing during the
entire voice track - but the music should keep playing for 5
seconds after the voice ends?

I would use a shell script.  That would allow me to get the
length of "voice.wav" and put its value in a variable.  Then
add 5 seconds, and put that into the "fade" effect.

Maybe it's possible to do only in SoX - but I don't know how.

-- f