Mixer examples / documentation

Rob Rohan-2
Hello everyone,

First off, sox is an amazing piece of software.  You guys have done an incredible job creating it.  Thank you for taking the time to build it.

I am trying to use sox as an automated multitrack mixer (a command line audacity if you will), but I am running into some basic understanding-of-the-tool trouble.   I've googled for examples and documentation, but haven't found much about how to use sox for this kind of thing.

What I want to do is something like this:

$ sox --combine mix \
1234.wav pan 1 pad 4000s@0 \
1235.wav pan -1 \
output.wav

(I know pan is deprecated) I don't think my logical understanding of how sox works.

or in other words, my understanding is:

$ sox --combine mix (global-options) \
(format-options) infile (effect-options) \
(format-options) infile2 (effect-options) \
... \
outfile (global-effects)

but I can't seem to get control over individual "tracks".

Am I understanding --combine mix correctly?  Is there any tutorials or examples you know of that show what I am trying to do?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
rob

Re: Mixer examples / documentation

Fmiser
> Rob Rohan wrote:

> I am trying to use sox as an automated multitrack mixer (a
> command line audacity if you will), but I am running into some
> basic understanding-of-the-tool trouble.

I really like SoX.

It is a powerful, capable, flexible audio tool.

But for multitrack on a Linux commandline, I use ecasound.  It
is not as flexible, or as versatile, as SoX - but is is better
suited for multitrack work.  I think. *smiles*

--   Philip

Re: Mixer examples / documentation

Rob Rohan-2
Hi Philip,

Ecasound looks perfect!  I am having a bit of trouble compiling it on OS X though - I will keep at it.

For the archives:

I wasn't understanding mix correctly.  What I wanted to do required a couple steps (I think).  Here is a bit of an example from my testing:

# Process one sample, and do a bit of processing on it (trim to about the first 10 seconds, and pan all the way to the left)

sox 1234.wav -c 2 -b 16 -r 44100 \
o1.wav \
trim 0 00:00:10.2222 pan -1.0

# Process another sample, trim off about the first 10 seconds and "move" the sample in by 10 seconds by padding it.  Pan all the way to the right

sox 1235.wav -c 2 -b 16 -r 44100 \
o2.wav \
trim 00:00:10.2222 pad 00:00:10.222@0 pan 1.0

# Then mix the left and right channels, and add some reverb and play with the volume

sox --combine mix \
-c 2 -b 16 -r 44100 -v 0.1 o1.wav \
-c 2 -b 16 -r 44100 -v 2.0 o2.wav \
f1.wav \
reverb 10 50 30

That's mostly what I need for my purposes, but ecasound does look more enticing for this kind of work.  I hope I can get it working.

Thanks again,
rob

On Sep 17, 2011, at 1:08 PM, Fmiser wrote:

> ecasound

             Rob Rohan (罗汉伦)
             http://robrohan.com
             http://twitter.com/robrohan