Newbie Questions

XXX-11
Hello all, I wanted to ask a couple of questions before I get into this
too deeply.

I have learned how to play back and mix multi tracks with the play -m
command.  I want to be able to process those tracks individually while
they are playing back, just like mixing down tracks in a studio.  I need
the ability to adjust individual volume, pan, EQ, dynamics and effects of
each track.  Is this something that SOX is able to do?

Re: Newbie Questions

Motiejus Jakštys
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 14:14, XXX <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have learned how to play back and mix multi tracks with the play -m
> command.  I want to be able to process those tracks individually while
> they are playing back, just like mixing down tracks in a studio.  I need
> the ability to adjust individual volume, pan, EQ, dynamics and effects of
> each track.  Is this something that SOX is able to do?

If you want to do something in real-time, you probably want to have a
look at jack and it's applications:
http://jackaudio.org/applications

Note that you not necessarily have to feed the soundcard; you can feed
the output to the program which can record the stream.

Regards
Motiejus Jakštys

Re: Newbie Questions

> XXX wrote:

> Hello all, I wanted to ask a couple of questions before I get
> into this too deeply.
>
> I have learned how to play back and mix multi tracks with the
> play -m command.  I want to be able to process those tracks
> individually while they are playing back, just like mixing
> down tracks in a studio.  I need the ability to adjust
> individual volume, pan, EQ, dynamics and effects of each
> track.  Is this something that SOX is able to do?

While I use SoX for a lot of odd and common sound processing,
when it comes to multi-track studio-type work I reach for
ecasound.  It too is a command line program available for *nix.
I don't know on what other platforms it will run.

--     Philip

Re: Newbie Questions

Stefan Koelling
Am Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:14:17 -0500 (CDT)
schrieb "XXX" <[hidden email]>:

> Hello all, I wanted to ask a couple of questions before I get into
> this too deeply.
>
> I have learned how to play back and mix multi tracks with the play -m
> command.  I want to be able to process those tracks individually while
> they are playing back, just like mixing down tracks in a studio.  I
> need the ability to adjust individual volume, pan, EQ, dynamics and
> effects of each track.  Is this something that SOX is able to do?

JAMin ( http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about.html )  might be a good
choice for doing this.

Re: Newbie Questions

XXX-11
That is an awesome looking app, I'm going to download and give it a try on
other projects, but it won't do what I'm trying to do on this project.

The suggestions from others who replied to this question were almost what
I needed but not quite, most of those were linux apps and I have to use
windows, I should have mentioned that limitation in the first place.  I
googled and saw some other apps that looked promising but I haven't fully
tried them out yet.

What I need is a command line controlled, preferably gui-less, multi-track
audio player that will play up to 24 simultaneous tracks and do audio
processing on an individual track on the fly.  For training purposes I
want to simulate a live mixing scenario with 24 tracks mixed down to 2 and
the ability to add eq, fx, dynamics and stereo imaging to each track on
the fly.

I have a start on the gui side of the project but don't yet have an audio
engine that will work within window's limitations, although there seems to
be several for linux, go figure.  If anyone could recommend an app that
would meet these requirements and save me from digging through the
documentation of dozens of programs searching for the best one, I would
greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

> Am Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:14:17 -0500 (CDT)
> schrieb "XXX" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hello all, I wanted to ask a couple of questions before I get into
>> this too deeply.
>>
>> I have learned how to play back and mix multi tracks with the play -m
>> command.  I want to be able to process those tracks individually while
>> they are playing back, just like mixing down tracks in a studio.  I
>> need the ability to adjust individual volume, pan, EQ, dynamics and
>> effects of each track.  Is this something that SOX is able to do?
>>

> JAMin ( http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about.html )  might be a good
> choice for doing this.

Re: Newbie Questions

Doug Cook-2
Sox does not currently have features to support changing parameters
while processing is on-going. Some methods for supporting this have
been suggested before, and it is an active feature request. We'll keep
this request in mind as we consider the future directions of the
project.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 6:29 AM, XXX <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is an awesome looking app, I'm going to download and give it a try on
> other projects, but it won't do what I'm trying to do on this project.
>
> The suggestions from others who replied to this question were almost what
> I needed but not quite, most of those were linux apps and I have to use
> windows, I should have mentioned that limitation in the first place.  I
> googled and saw some other apps that looked promising but I haven't fully
> tried them out yet.
>
> What I need is a command line controlled, preferably gui-less, multi-track
> audio player that will play up to 24 simultaneous tracks and do audio
> processing on an individual track on the fly.  For training purposes I
> want to simulate a live mixing scenario with 24 tracks mixed down to 2 and
> the ability to add eq, fx, dynamics and stereo imaging to each track on
> the fly.
>
> I have a start on the gui side of the project but don't yet have an audio
> engine that will work within window's limitations, although there seems to
> be several for linux, go figure.  If anyone could recommend an app that
> would meet these requirements and save me from digging through the
> documentation of dozens of programs searching for the best one, I would
> greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
>
>> Am Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:14:17 -0500 (CDT)
>> schrieb "XXX" <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hello all, I wanted to ask a couple of questions before I get into
>>> this too deeply.
>>>
>>> I have learned how to play back and mix multi tracks with the play -m
>>> command.  I want to be able to process those tracks individually while
>>> they are playing back, just like mixing down tracks in a studio.  I
>>> need the ability to adjust individual volume, pan, EQ, dynamics and
>>> effects of each track.  Is this something that SOX is able to do?
>>>

>> JAMin ( http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about.html )  might be a good
>> choice for doing this.

Re: Newbie Questions

> XXX wrote:

> The suggestions from others who replied to this question were
> almost what I needed but not quite, most of those were linux
> apps and I have to use windows, I should have mentioned that
> limitation in the first place.

Yup.

> What I need is a command line controlled, preferably gui-less,
> multi-track audio player that will play up to 24 simultaneous
> tracks and do audio processing on an individual track on the
> fly.  For training purposes I want to simulate a live mixing
> scenario with 24 tracks mixed down to 2 and the ability to add
> eq, fx, dynamics and stereo imaging to each track on the fly.

You want a powerful CLI program for MS Windows.

Good luck!

Is there a compelling reason to stick with the restrictions of
MS Windows?  What about a virtual machine with MS Win as the
host and Linux as the guest?

> I have a start on the gui side of the project but don't yet
> have an audio engine that will work within window's
> limitations, although there seems to be several for linux, go
> figure.

Microsoft Windows has such a limiting environment for non-gui
apps it's no wonder there isn't much that lives there.

What about running Cygwin?  It provides a *nix framework in MS
Win.  I have no idea how well it will work with a demanding
audio app.

--    Philip

Re: Newbie Questions

XXX-11
My compelling reason is pretty much everyone who will be using the app
will have windows, I still have windows but I'm getting close to a point I
may be able to switch to Linux.  As for the virtual machine, that's likely
more than I could accomplish.  This entire project is a learning
experience or you might call it a figure it out as you go experience.

I'll read a little on virtual machines and Cygwin and see if it looks like
something I'll be able to figure out.  Chances are if it's going to be
that difficult to find the right player I'll probably just scrap this
project.
Thanks for the advice.

>> XXX wrote:
>
>> The suggestions from others who replied to this question were
>> almost what I needed but not quite, most of those were linux
>> apps and I have to use windows, I should have mentioned that
>> limitation in the first place.
>
> Yup.
>
>> What I need is a command line controlled, preferably gui-less,
>> multi-track audio player that will play up to 24 simultaneous
>> tracks and do audio processing on an individual track on the
>> fly.  For training purposes I want to simulate a live mixing
>> scenario with 24 tracks mixed down to 2 and the ability to add
>> eq, fx, dynamics and stereo imaging to each track on the fly.
>
> You want a powerful CLI program for MS Windows.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Is there a compelling reason to stick with the restrictions of
> MS Windows?  What about a virtual machine with MS Win as the
> host and Linux as the guest?
>
>> I have a start on the gui side of the project but don't yet
>> have an audio engine that will work within window's
>> limitations, although there seems to be several for linux, go
>> figure.
>
> Microsoft Windows has such a limiting environment for non-gui
> apps it's no wonder there isn't much that lives there.
>
> What about running Cygwin?  It provides a *nix framework in MS
> Win.  I have no idea how well it will work with a demanding
> audio app.
>
> --    Philip

Re: Newbie Questions

Jan Stary
On Mar 28 20:16:42, XXX wrote:

> My compelling reason is pretty much everyone who will be using the app
> will have windows, I still have windows but I'm getting close to a point I
> may be able to switch to Linux.  As for the virtual machine, that's likely
> more than I could accomplish.  This entire project is a learning
> experience or you might call it a figure it out as you go experience.
>
> I'll read a little on virtual machines and Cygwin and see if it looks like
> something I'll be able to figure out.  Chances are if it's going to be
> that difficult to find the right player I'll probably just scrap this
> project.

Don't waste your time on virtual machines or cygwin.
Just get an old machine for cheap or free, install
whatever *nix OS you like, and you're good to go.
Takes about 15 minutes, depending on the OS.

> >> XXX wrote:
> >
> >> The suggestions from others who replied to this question were
> >> almost what I needed but not quite, most of those were linux
> >> apps and I have to use windows, I should have mentioned that
> >> limitation in the first place.
> >
> > Yup.
> >
> >> What I need is a command line controlled, preferably gui-less,
> >> multi-track audio player that will play up to 24 simultaneous
> >> tracks and do audio processing on an individual track on the
> >> fly.  For training purposes I want to simulate a live mixing
> >> scenario with 24 tracks mixed down to 2 and the ability to add
> >> eq, fx, dynamics and stereo imaging to each track on the fly.
> >
> > You want a powerful CLI program for MS Windows.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > Is there a compelling reason to stick with the restrictions of
> > MS Windows?  What about a virtual machine with MS Win as the
> > host and Linux as the guest?
> >
> >> I have a start on the gui side of the project but don't yet
> >> have an audio engine that will work within window's
> >> limitations, although there seems to be several for linux, go
> >> figure.
> >
> > Microsoft Windows has such a limiting environment for non-gui
> > apps it's no wonder there isn't much that lives there.
> >
> > What about running Cygwin?  It provides a *nix framework in MS
> > Win.  I have no idea how well it will work with a demanding
> > audio app.
> >
> > --    Philip

Re: Newbie Questions

five-stars

What ist your problem? With sox  you can start 24 instances playing 24 files with
different effect chains.

On Win you can use Virtual Audio Cable or 24 real Soundcards. Virtual Audio Cable software allows you to transfer audio (wave) streams between applications and/or devices. It creates a set of virtual audio devices  named "Virtual Cables", each of them consists of a pair of the waveform input/output devices. Any application can send audio stream to an output side of a cable, and any other application can receive this stream from an input side. All transfers are made digitally, providing NO sound quality loss (a bitperfect streaming).
http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

If you have more than 1 Soundcard you can root the incoming  sound from one soundard to the other, the outgoing soundard with sox, SaviHost, Winamp, XMPlayer, Foobar.....  and add various effects with, for example,  VST-Plgins!
http://freewarewiki.com/w/page/14936877/SaviHost

Jan Stary schrieb:
> On Mar 28 20:16:42, XXX wrote:
>> My compelling reason is pretty much everyone who will be using the
>> app will have windows, I still have windows but I'm getting close
>> to a point I may be able to switch to Linux.  As for the virtual
>> machine, that's likely more than I could accomplish.  This entire
>> project is a learning experience or you might call it a figure it
>> out as you go experience.
>>
>> I'll read a little on virtual machines and Cygwin and see if it
>> looks like something I'll be able to figure out.  Chances are if
>> it's going to be that difficult to find the right player I'll
>> probably just scrap this project.
>
> Don't waste your time on virtual machines or cygwin. Just get an old
> machine for cheap or free, install whatever *nix OS you like, and
> you're good to go. Takes about 15 minutes, depending on the OS.

>>> Yup.

>>> You want a powerful CLI program for MS Windows.
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> Is there a compelling reason to stick with the restrictions of MS
>>> Windows?  What about a virtual machine with MS Win as the host
>>> and Linux as the guest?

>>> Microsoft Windows has such a limiting environment for non-gui
>>> apps it's no wonder there isn't much that lives there.
>>>
>>> What about running Cygwin?  It provides a *nix framework in MS
>>> Win.  I have no idea how well it will work with a demanding audio
>>> app.
>>>
>>> --    Philip

>>> Use the most popular FREE web apps or write code yourself;
>>> WebMatrix provides all the features you need to develop and
>>> publish your website. http://p.sf.net/sfu/ms-webmatrix-sf

>> growing manageability and security demands of your customers.
>> Businesses are taking advantage of Intel(R) vPro (TM) technology -
>> will your software be a part of the solution? Download the Intel(R)
>> Manageability Checker today! http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devmar

> growing manageability and security demands of your customers.
> Businesses are taking advantage of Intel(R) vPro (TM) technology -
> will your software be a part of the solution? Download the Intel(R)
> Manageability Checker today! http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devmar

Re: Newbie Questions

> > On Mar 28 20:16:42, XXX wrote:
> > My compelling reason is pretty much everyone who will be
> > using the app will have windows,

> > As for the virtual machine, that's likely more than
> > I could accomplish.

I found the virtual machine journey to be pretty easy.

> > I'll read a little on virtual machines and Cygwin and see if
> > it looks like something I'll be able to figure out.  Chances
> > are if it's going to be that difficult to find the right
> > player I'll probably just scrap this project.

> Jan Stary wrote:
>
> Don't waste your time on virtual machines or cygwin.
> Just get an old machine for cheap or free, install
> whatever *nix OS you like, and you're good to go.
> Takes about 15 minutes, depending on the OS.

While that might work well for him, if he is developing for a
user base that's using Microsoft Windows it would seem his app
would have to run there.  Which means virtual machine, cygwin,
and an old machine running Linux are all pretty useless.

Expecting the users to install any of those prior to running his
program is even more silly than, say, running MS Windows!

--     Philip

Re: Newbie Questions

Jan Stary
On Mar 29 04:26:25, Fmiser wrote:
> > > On Mar 28 20:16:42, XXX wrote:
> > > My compelling reason is pretty much everyone who will be
> > > using the app will have windows,

> > > I'll read a little on virtual machines and Cygwin and see if
> > > it looks like something I'll be able to figure out.  Chances
> > > are if it's going to be that difficult to find the right
> > > player I'll probably just scrap this project.
>
> > Don't waste your time on virtual machines or cygwin.
> > Just get an old machine for cheap or free, install
> > whatever *nix OS you like, and you're good to go.
> > Takes about 15 minutes, depending on the OS.
>
> While that might work well for him, if he is developing for a
> user base that's using Microsoft Windows it would seem his app
> would have to run there.  Which means virtual machine, cygwin,
> and an old machine running Linux are all pretty useless.
>
> Expecting the users to install any of those prior to running his
> program is even more silly than, say, running MS Windows!

(The advice above is not meant as means to accomplish that project,
which will probably never happen, but to help him switch from
windows himself.)

Re: Newbie Questions

XXX-11

>> > Don't waste your time on virtual machines or cygwin.
>> > Just get an old machine for cheap or free, install
>> > whatever *nix OS you like, and you're good to go.
>> > Takes about 15 minutes, depending on the OS.
>>
>> While that might work well for him, if he is developing for a
>> user base that's using Microsoft Windows it would seem his app
>> would have to run there.  Which means virtual machine, cygwin,
>> and an old machine running Linux are all pretty useless.
>>
>> Expecting the users to install any of those prior to running his
>> program is even more silly than, say, running MS Windows!
>
> (The advice above is not meant as means to accomplish that project,
> which will probably never happen, but to help him switch from
> windows himself.)

I have one computer that has Ubuntu on it, and I really like it, but I
haven't been able to find a Linux equivalent of an automation app I use
constantly called EventGhost.  I'm currently working on writing my own
replacement but it will likely be a loooong time before it's usable.