Playing an image

Ivano Arrighetta

Hello there. I saw sox can export graphics visualisation of sound as image, is that true the way around?
I mean, can I open an image in sox and play it as a sound?

Re: Playing an image

Jan Stary
On Feb 18 11:55:17, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello there. I saw sox can export graphics visualisation of sound as image,

SoX has the 'spectrogram' effect,
whuch outputs the spectrogram of the given sound signal.

> is that true the way around?
> I mean, can I open an image in sox and play it as a sound?

What do you even mean by that? Here is an image:
http://stare.cz/~hans/.tmp/hori.jpg
What is the sound you expect to be played?

Re: Playing an image

Erich Eckner
Hi,

On 18.02.2016 20:25, Jan Stary wrote:
> On Feb 18 11:55:17, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hello there. I saw sox can export graphics visualisation of sound as image,
>
> SoX has the 'spectrogram' effect,
> whuch outputs the spectrogram of the given sound signal.

Besides that, the only image-related stuff, sox can do, is to plot
frequency responses of filters (with "--plot") and similar.

>> is that true the way around?
>> I mean, can I open an image in sox and play it as a sound?
I've seen something similar once, where x maps to time, y to frequency
and brightness to amplitude. However, sox can't do that,

> What do you even mean by that? Here is an image:
> http://stare.cz/~hans/.tmp/hori.jpg
> What is the sound you expect to be played?

For that image I'd expect any interpretation of "the roof is on fire" ;-)
However, the abovementioned algorithm would generate some pretty noise
from it :-/

cheers, Erich

Re: Playing an image

Kevin Conder
On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 4:55 AM, Ivano Arrighetta wrote:

> Hello there. I saw sox can export graphics visualisation of sound as image,
> is that true the way around?
> I mean, can I open an image in sox and play it as a sound?

I don't think SoX has a spectrograph synthesizer, which synthesizes
images into sounds. The only free, cross-platform example I could find
was a program called the ARSS: http://arss.sourceforge.net/

While searching, I found a guy who used the ARSS with SoX:
http://www.lshift.net/blog/2008/07/25/listening-to-your-webcam/

Someone else wrote a GUI front-end for the ARSS called Photosounder.
Here's an demonstration of it on YouTube for those that are curious to
see this in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8MCAXhEsy4

Trying asking this question on the mailing lists for free,
cross-platform software synthesizers like CSound, pd, etc. Perhaps
they can steer you in the right direction.

Re: Playing an image

Pascal Giard

Le 2016-02-18 à 21:38, Kevin Conder <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

For some reason my brain links this to gr-paint [1]. Perhaps i've been doing too much SDR recently.

-Pascal