Problem complilin 14.4 from source

Alec Cook
Hi,
   I am trying to install sox from source including mp3 features. I have followed the below steps and receive an error:

dh_install: libsox-fmt-ffmpeg missing files (debian/tmp/usr/lib/sox/libsox_fmt_ffmpeg.so*), aborting
make: *** [binary-install/libsox-fmt-ffmpeg] Error 2

Please can someone advise on how to proceed, I'm totally stuck!
Many thanks, Alec

:
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy main contrib non-free rpi"
sudo apt-get install -y build-essential fakeroot dpkg-dev devscripts
sudo apt-get -y build-dep sox
sudo apt-get install -y libmp3lame-dev
cd ~ && mkdir soxbuild && cd soxbuild
apt-get source sox
cd sox-14.4.0
sed -i 's/--without-lame //' debian/rules
sed -i 's/libmagic-dev, /libmagic-dev, libmp3lame-dev, /' debian/control
sed -i 's/Write support not available yet.//' debian/control
fakeroot debian/rules binary
        # - error appears after this step
        # - i think all i need to do after this is type sudo dpkg -i ../*.deb

Re: Problem complilin 14.4 from source

Eric Wong
Alec Cook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am trying to install sox from source including mp3 features. I have
> followed the below steps and receive an error:
>

> dh_install: libsox-fmt-ffmpeg missing files
> (debian/tmp/usr/lib/sox/libsox_fmt_ffmpeg.so*), aborting
> make: *** [binary-install/libsox-fmt-ffmpeg] Error 2
>
> Please can someone advise on how to proceed, I'm totally stuck!

Recent versions of sox removed ffmpeg support, so perhaps you
need to remove all mentions of ffmpeg from the debian/ directory
and use --without-ffmpeg for configure?

Re: Problem complilin 14.4 from source

Pascal Giard
Hi Alec,

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Alec Cook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am trying to install sox from source including mp3 features. I have
> followed the below steps and receive an error:
>
> dh_install: libsox-fmt-ffmpeg missing files
> (debian/tmp/usr/lib/sox/libsox_fmt_ffmpeg.so*), aborting
> make: *** [binary-install/libsox-fmt-ffmpeg] Error 2
>
> Please can someone advise on how to proceed, I'm totally stuck!
> Many thanks, Alec
>
> :
> sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/
> wheezy main contrib non-free rpi"
> sudo apt-get install -y build-essential fakeroot dpkg-dev devscripts
> sudo apt-get -y build-dep sox
> sudo apt-get install -y libmp3lame-dev
> cd ~ && mkdir soxbuild && cd soxbuild
> apt-get source sox
> cd sox-14.4.0
> sed -i 's/--without-lame //' debian/rules
> sed -i 's/libmagic-dev, /libmagic-dev, libmp3lame-dev, /' debian/control
> sed -i 's/Write support not available yet.//' debian/control
> fakeroot debian/rules binary
>         # - error appears after this step
>         # - i think all i need to do after this is type sudo dpkg -i
> ../*.deb

I see a couple of weird things that strike me.
Disclaimer: I am the official maintainer of the Debian packages for SoX.

Not that it matters much, but I assume that you are pulling the
sources and packaging files from a raspbian mirror because you are
targetting a RPi board.

Weird things:
- Why do you want to build sox from source? MP3 reading and writing
has been support in Debian (and Debian-derived) packages since
14.3.2-2. I have verified that the raspbian mirror above is no
exception, and it is the case. Just install libsox-fmt-mp3 and you'll
be good.
- You must have pasted the sed commands from somewhere else as they
don't make sense...
-- 1) --without-lame is not present in the debian/rules of that version;
-- 2) libmp3lame is already listed as a build-dep in debian/control;

Thus I assume that you copy/pasted that (obsolete) procedure from
somewhere else.

Again, just make you install libsox-fmt-mp3 and you'll be set!

-Pascal
--
Homepage (http://organact.mine.nu)
Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org)

Re: Problem complilin 14.4 from source

Jan Stary
On Jan 25 16:31:15, [hidden email] wrote:
>    I am trying to install sox from source including mp3 features.

>From what follows, I assume you are doing this on a Raspberry Pi,
running Raspbian. Please always give this information explicitly.

> I have
> followed the below steps and receive an error:
> dh_install: libsox-fmt-ffmpeg missing files
> (debian/tmp/usr/lib/sox/libsox_fmt_ffmpeg.so*), aborting
> make: *** [binary-install/libsox-fmt-ffmpeg] Error 2
>
> Please can someone advise on how to proceed, I'm totally stuck!
> Many thanks, Alec
>
> :
> sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/
> wheezy main contrib non-free rpi"
> sudo apt-get install -y build-essential fakeroot dpkg-dev devscripts
> sudo apt-get -y build-dep sox
> sudo apt-get install -y libmp3lame-dev
> cd ~ && mkdir soxbuild && cd soxbuild
> apt-get source sox
> cd sox-14.4.0
> sed -i 's/--without-lame //' debian/rules
> sed -i 's/libmagic-dev, /libmagic-dev, libmp3lame-dev, /' debian/control
> sed -i 's/Write support not available yet.//' debian/control
> fakeroot debian/rules binary
>         # - error appears after this step
>         # - i think all i need to do after this is type sudo dpkg -i
> ../*.deb

Your procedure seems to be a mix of debian-source and manual installation.
You install the build-deps of sox and libmp3lame via apt-get,
and then try to build sox manually. Is that correct? Why are you doing this?
SoX itself is surely in the Debian packages, in a version newer than 14.4.0.

Where did you get the sed commands from?
What happens if you just let Debian install 'sox' for you,
either as a package, or from source? Is 14.4.0 the default version?

The current version is significantly different.
In particular, 14.4.0 still uses the ffpmeg "support";
that seems to be what you are missing.

But don't do it. Just install the current version.
Or what specific reason do you have to instal 14.4.0, from source?

        Jan

Re: Problem complilin 14.4 from source

Alec Cook
Thank you for your help:
install libsox-fmt-mp3
and then it all worked.
I had read on a forum that sox didn't come pre-compiled with mp3 drivers due to licencing issues.
Many thanks to all of you! :)

On 26 January 2015 at 09:29, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jan 25 16:31:15, [hidden email] wrote:
>    I am trying to install sox from source including mp3 features.

From what follows, I assume you are doing this on a Raspberry Pi,