Problem mixing 2 input files with no effects

Problem mixing 2 input files with no effects

Abe Batshon
Hi SoX!

Hope you are all well. I am having a dead-end issue with the mixing effect and I was wondering if you can help. PLEASE :-)

I'm trying to mix 2 audio files (2 mp3 input files) together but want tp maintain all of the attributes from the original audio files.

For some reason SoX alters the output audio every time. It decreases the gain significantly and even if we add gain to the tracks it sometimes decides to do other funky stuff.

Do you know of anyway we can force SoX to mix 2 tracks and not alter anything? Add no effects and not touch any of the gain? We want the audio output file as original and natural as possible.

Your help would be so much appreciated.

Re: Problem mixing 2 input files with no effects

Ulrich Klauer-2
Abe Batshon wrote:

> I'm trying to mix 2 audio files (2 mp3 input files) together but want tp
> maintain all of the attributes from the original audio files.
>
> For some reason SoX alters the output audio every time. It decreases the
> gain significantly and even if we add gain to the tracks it sometimes
> decides to do other funky stuff.
>
> Do you know of anyway we can force SoX to mix 2 tracks and not alter
> anything? Add no effects and not touch any of the gain?

1. Use -D (--no-dither).
2. Don't use -m (--combine=mix), instead merge the files (-M) and do
the mixing manually with remix.
3. Also use the -m option to remix.
4. Consider using -V to display the effects chain. It should only
contain the input, remix and output effects.

Example, assuming stereo input files:
   sox -D -M file1.mp3 file2.mp3 output.whatever remix -m 1,3 2,4
This might of course clip if both input files are sufficiently loud.
(That's what SoX tries to avoid by attenuating automatically with
--combine=mix.)

Ulrich

Re: Problem mixing 2 input files with no effects

Abe Batshon
Thanks Urlich!

Will try this process out and let you know my progress. Hopefully it keeps both files in their natural state and just mix them together with no other interference's.

Abe

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Ulrich Klauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Abe Batshon wrote:

> I'm trying to mix 2 audio files (2 mp3 input files) together but want tp
> maintain all of the attributes from the original audio files.
>
> For some reason SoX alters the output audio every time. It decreases the
> gain significantly and even if we add gain to the tracks it sometimes
> decides to do other funky stuff.
>
> Do you know of anyway we can force SoX to mix 2 tracks and not alter
> anything? Add no effects and not touch any of the gain?

1. Use -D (--no-dither).
2. Don't use -m (--combine=mix), instead merge the files (-M) and do
the mixing manually with remix.
3. Also use the -m option to remix.
4. Consider using -V to display the effects chain. It should only
contain the input, remix and output effects.

Example, assuming stereo input files:
   sox -D -M file1.mp3 file2.mp3 output.whatever remix -m 1,3 2,4
This might of course clip if both input files are sufficiently loud.
(That's what SoX tries to avoid by attenuating automatically with
--combine=mix.)

Ulrich

Re: Problem mixing 2 input files with no effects

Abe Batshon
Urlich -

Wanted to thank you so much for your help. Your method worked great. I owe you one!