Sox man page formatting problem

Peter Shute
The man page at http://sox.sourceforge.net/sox.html uses − for dashes in lots of places. This is a long dash.

The result is that I can't search the page for entries like "no-clobber" in a web browser. Some are ok, eg "multi-threaded" just above the no-clobber entry.

This affects at least Firefox and Safari.

Sent from my iPad

Re: Sox man page formatting problem

Gregorio Garcia Karman
Hi Peter,

I also experienced problems when I was performing a similar search in the online documentation using OSX/Safari 5/6 yesterday. As a workaround, copying the search sample directly from the document kind of did the trick.

Cheers

On 08.01.2013, at 18:05, Peter Shute wrote:

> The man page at http://sox.sourceforge.net/sox.html uses − for dashes in lots of places. This is a long dash.
>
> The result is that I can't search the page for entries like "no-clobber" in a web browser. Some are ok, eg "multi-threaded" just above the no-clobber entry.
>
> This affects at least Firefox and Safari.
>
> Sent from my iPad

Re: Sox man page formatting problem

Ulrich Klauer-2
Peter Shute <[hidden email]>:

> The man page at http://sox.sourceforge.net/sox.html uses &minus; for
> dashes in lots of places. This is a long dash.
>
> The result is that I can't search the page for entries like
> "no-clobber" in a web browser. Some are ok, eg "multi-threaded" just
> above the no-clobber entry.

I think this last one was by mistake. ;-)  I agree it is somewhat
unfortunate. You can't copy examples directly into a shell either (or
you can, but they won't work because there is a minus instead of a
hyphen).

I guess it is important (for optical reasons) in the PDF version, but
we should possibly convert the minus into hyphen for the HTML
documentation?

Ulrich