Taking the left and right channels of two wav files and joining them into one stereo file

RT

Taking the left and right channels of two wav files and joining them into one stereo file

RT
Greetings

Taking the left and right channels of two wav files and joining them into one stereo file

I have two stereo wav files that I would like to take the left channel of the first audio file and take the right channel of the second audio file and join them into one new wave file.

Here's an image to what I'm trying to do is this possible to do with sox?

http://i.imgur.com/Rwe5jWHl.jpg

Re: Taking the left and right channels of two wav files and joining them into one stereo file

Jan Stary
On Jul 04 16:39:31, [hidden email] wrote:

> Greetings
>
> Taking the left and right channels of two wav files and joining them into
> one stereo file
>
> I have two stereo wav files that I would like to take the left channel of
> the first audio file and take the right channel of the second audio file
> and join them into one new wave file.
>
> Here's an image to what I'm trying to do is this possible to do with sox?
> http://i.imgur.com/Rwe5jWHl.jpg

See the 'remix' effect.

RT

Re: Taking the left and right channels of two wav files and joining them into one stereo file

RT
thanks but the only thing I saw was

concatenates two audio files "sox −m music.mp3 voice.wav mixed.flac"

which won't do what I'm trying to do,  as you can tell from the diagram http://i.imgur.com/Rwe5jWHl.jpg
or am I missing something?

Thanks

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 2:34 AM, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jul 04 16:39:31, [hidden email] wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Taking the left and right channels of two wav files and joining them into
> one stereo file
>
> I have two stereo wav files that I would like to take the left channel of
> the first audio file and take the right channel of the second audio file
> and join them into one new wave file.
>
> Here's an image to what I'm trying to do is this possible to do with sox?
> http://i.imgur.com/Rwe5jWHl.jpg

See the 'remix' effect.

Re: Taking the left and right channels of two wav files and joining them into one stereo file

keghn

sox infile.wav outfile_left.wav remix 1
sox infile.wav outfile_right.wav remix 2

https://www.nesono.com/node/275

Re: Taking the left and right channels of two wav files and joining them into one stereo file

Erich Eckner
Hi,

RT wants it the other way round. What he's looking for isn't called
merge "effect", but merge "combining method" (-M):

sox -M in_left.wav in_right.wav out_stereo.mp3

Greetings,
Erich

Am 06.07.2015 um 03:06 schrieb keghn:

> sox infile.wav outfile_left.wav remix 1
> sox infile.wav outfile_right.wav remix 2
>

> https://www.nesono.com/node/275

Re: Taking the left and right channels of two wav files and joining them into one stereo file

Fmiser
> > keghn wrote:
> >
> > sox infile.wav outfile_left.wav remix 1
> > sox infile.wav outfile_right.wav remix 2

> Erich wrote:
>
> RT wants it the other way round. What he's looking for
> isn't called merge "effect", but merge "combining
> method" (-M):
>
> sox -M in_left.wav in_right.wav out_stereo.mp3

Except the input files are stereo.  And he wants the output
channel 1 from channel 1 from one input file and output
channel 2 from channel 2 from  the other input file.

Two stereo files merged will create a four channel file which
'remix' can then take two of those channels to create the new
two channel (stereo) output file.

-- fm

Re: Taking the left and right channels of two wav files and joining them into one stereo file

Chris Angelico
On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 3:53 PM, fmiser <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > keghn wrote:
>> >
>> > sox infile.wav outfile_left.wav remix 1
>> > sox infile.wav outfile_right.wav remix 2
>
>> Erich wrote:
>>
>> RT wants it the other way round. What he's looking for
>> isn't called merge "effect", but merge "combining
>> method" (-M):
>>
>> sox -M in_left.wav in_right.wav out_stereo.mp3
>
> Except the input files are stereo.  And he wants the output
> channel 1 from channel 1 from one input file and output
> channel 2 from channel 2 from  the other input file.
>
> Two stereo files merged will create a four channel file which
> 'remix' can then take two of those channels to create the new
> two channel (stereo) output file.

Or alternatively, fold the two input files down to mono, and then
merge into one output file. But I'm curious: Can this be done with a
single sox invocation? There are times when I'd like to do this too.

ChrisA

On 06.07.2015 08:25, Chris Angelico wrote:

>>> Erich wrote:
>>>
>>> RT wants it the other way round. What he's looking for
>>> isn't called merge "effect", but merge "combining
>>> method" (-M):
>>>
>>> sox -M in_left.wav in_right.wav out_stereo.mp3
>>
>> Except the input files are stereo.  And he wants the output
>> channel 1 from channel 1 from one input file and output
>> channel 2 from channel 2 from  the other input file.
ok, then I misinterpreted "take left and right channel of two wav files".

>> Two stereo files merged will create a four channel file which
>> 'remix' can then take two of those channels to create the new
>> two channel (stereo) output file.
>
> Or alternatively, fold the two input files down to mono, and then
> merge into one output file. But I'm curious: Can this be done with a
> single sox invocation? There are times when I'd like to do this too.
>
> ChrisA
yes and afaik no:

yes, if you count the number of commands you have to type into your
command line:
sox -M "|sox in_left.wav -p remix 1" "|sox in_right.wav -p remix 2"
out_stereo.mp3

and no, if you count the number of sox-processes actually running (the
above command will have 3, I can't think of one with less processes,
which _first_ mixes down and then merges together).

greetings,
Erich

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Erich Eckner <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Or alternatively, fold the two input files down to mono, and then
>> merge into one output file. But I'm curious: Can this be done with a
>> single sox invocation? There are times when I'd like to do this too.
>>
>> ChrisA
>
> yes and afaik no:
>
> yes, if you count the number of commands you have to type into your
> command line:
> sox -M "|sox in_left.wav -p remix 1" "|sox in_right.wav -p remix 2"
> out_stereo.mp3
>
> and no, if you count the number of sox-processes actually running (the
> above command will have 3, I can't think of one with less processes,
> which _first_ mixes down and then merges together).

Doing it with pipes does mean that it doesn't require intermediate
storage, which is good; but what I meant by "a single invocation" was
a single process, so I guess that's not possible. No matter, the pipe
technique will serve. Thanks.

ChrisA

On Jul 05 03:02:11, [hidden email] wrote:
> thanks but the only thing I saw was
> concatenates two audio files "sox ???m music.mp3 voice.wav mixed.flac"
> which won't do what I'm trying to do,  as you can tell from the diagram
> http://i.imgur.com/Rwe5jWHl.jpg
> or am I missing something?

You only looked at the Introduction of the manpage.
See the remix effect section.