What is wrong with this

Mew, Peter

Hi

I hope someone can point me in the right direction, I’ve been grappling with this for hours.

I want to convert a raw headerless wav called “Image.dat” to a standard wav file with a different name (NewFile.wav)

This is the last of a series of terminal commands I’ve tried.

I keep getting “data encoding or sample size not specified” and the command fails before it gets to the output path

Sox –c 2 –b 16 –r  44.1k /users/peter/desktop/STUFF\ from\ Ian\ 4\ March/Old\ Habits\ Die\ Hard\ \(2\ track\)/0724381645826_01_0724381645826/image.dat –t raw /users/peter/desktop/STUFF\ from\ Ian\ Output/NewFile.wav

Thanks

-pm

“**Confidentiality**
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential, may be privileged and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee. Access to this e-mail by any other person is not authorised. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disclose, copy, distribute, take any action or rely on it and you should please notify the sender by reply. Any opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the company.

We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.

Re: What is wrong with this

René Bastian
On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 20:57:11 +0000
"Mew, Pete" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> I hope someone can point me in the right direction, I’ve been
> grappling with this for hours. I want to convert a raw headerless wav
> called “Image.dat” to a standard wav file with a different name
> (NewFile.wav) This is the last of a series of terminal commands I’ve
> tried. I keep getting “data encoding or sample size not specified”
> and the command fails before it gets to the output path
>
> Sox –c 2 –b 16 –r  44.1k /users/peter/desktop/STUFF\ from\ Ian\ 4\
> March/Old\ Habits\ Die\ Hard\ \(2\
> track\)/0724381645826_01_0724381645826/image.dat –t
> raw /users/peter/desktop/STUFF\ from\ Ian\ Output/NewFile.wav

try

sox –c2 –b16 –r44100 -e signed-integer image.dat newfile.wav

rb

> Thanks
> -pm
>

> ________________________________
>
> “**Confidentiality**
> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential, may be
> privileged and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee.
> Access to this e-mail by any other person is not authorised. If you
> are not the intended recipient, you should not disclose, copy,
> distribute, take any action or rely on it and you should please
> notify the sender by reply. Any opinions expressed are not
> necessarily those of the company.
>
> We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current
> legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and
> attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your
> responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.

Re: What is wrong with this

Dave Graff

On Mar 4, 2014, at 3:57 PM, "Mew, Pete" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> I hope someone can point me in the right direction, I’ve been grappling with this for hours.
> I want to convert a raw headerless wav called “Image.dat” to a standard wav file with a different name (NewFile.wav)
> This is the last of a series of terminal commands I’ve tried.
> I keep getting “data encoding or sample size not specified” and the command fails before it gets to the output path
>
> Sox –c 2 –b 16 –r  44.1k /users/peter/desktop/STUFF\ from\ Ian\ 4\ March/Old\ Habits\ Die\ Hard\ \(2\ track\)/0724381645826_01_0724381645826/image.dat –t raw /users/peter/desktop/STUFF\ from\ Ian\ Output/NewFile.wav

As the error message says, you need to add input file options to specify the data encoding.  It would be good to say that the input is raw, as well.  So, if "image.dat" contains signed-integer data (as opposed to u-law, etc):

 sox -c 2 -b 16 -r 44.1k -e signed-integer -t raw {input_file_name} ...

Do you intend to do anything other simply copy all the data from one raw file to another raw file?  If you aren't going to apply any effects, you might as well use the "cp" command.

        Dave G.

Re: What is wrong with this

keghn

sox -r 44100 -e float -b 32 -c 2 recorded.raw recorded.wav

I used this the other day and it worked very well.
Do you know any detail of how the your .dat file was generated?
like was it using 8, 16, or 32 bit signed integer or floating point value?

My wave file i new all the values ahead of time because it
was generated form a portaudio c microphone recording program.

best regards

 keghn

Re: What is wrong with this

Mew, Peter
Hi Keghn
The image.dat file is from a DDP Fileset, so I know it's 16 bit 44.1 2 channel, and I want to convert it to a self describing wav file.
Thanks
-pm

Sent from my iPad

On 4 Mar 2014, at 22:22, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Do you really mean no spaces between the switches and their values?
Thanks
-pm

Sent from my iPad

> On 4 Mar 2014, at 21:57, "René Bastian" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 20:57:11 +0000
> "Mew, Pete" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I hope someone can point me in the right direction, I’ve been
>> grappling with this for hours. I want to convert a raw headerless wav
>> called “Image.dat” to a standard wav file with a different name
>> (NewFile.wav) This is the last of a series of terminal commands I’ve
>> tried. I keep getting “data encoding or sample size not specified”
>> and the command fails before it gets to the output path
>>
>> Sox –c 2 –b 16 –r  44.1k /users/peter/desktop/STUFF\ from\ Ian\ 4\
>> March/Old\ Habits\ Die\ Hard\ \(2\
>> track\)/0724381645826_01_0724381645826/image.dat –t
>> raw /users/peter/desktop/STUFF\ from\ Ian\ Output/NewFile.wav
>
> try
>
> sox –c2 –b16 –r44100 -e signed-integer image.dat newfile.wav
>
> rb
>

>> Thanks
>> -pm
>>

>> ________________________________
>>
>> “**Confidentiality**
>> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential, may be
>> privileged and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee.
>> Access to this e-mail by any other person is not authorised. If you
>> are not the intended recipient, you should not disclose, copy,
>> distribute, take any action or rely on it and you should please
>> notify the sender by reply. Any opinions expressed are not
>> necessarily those of the company.
>>
>> We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current
>> legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and
>> attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your
>> responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.

________________________________

“**Confidentiality**
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential, may be privileged and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee. Access to this e-mail by any other person is not authorised. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disclose, copy, distribute, take any action or rely on it and you should please notify the sender by reply. Any opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the company.

We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.

Re: What is wrong with this

Dave Graff
Add spaces if you like - it should work either way.

        Dave G.

On Mar 4, 2014, at 5:54 PM, "Mew, Pete" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you really mean no spaces between the switches and their values?
> Thanks
> -pm
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On 4 Mar 2014, at 21:57, "René Bastian" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 20:57:11 +0000
>> "Mew, Pete" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> I hope someone can point me in the right direction, I’ve been
>>> grappling with this for hours. I want to convert a raw headerless wav
>>> called “Image.dat” to a standard wav file with a different name
>>> (NewFile.wav) This is the last of a series of terminal commands I’ve
>>> tried. I keep getting “data encoding or sample size not specified”
>>> and the command fails before it gets to the output path
>>>
>>> Sox –c 2 –b 16 –r  44.1k /users/peter/desktop/STUFF\ from\ Ian\ 4\
>>> March/Old\ Habits\ Die\ Hard\ \(2\
>>> track\)/0724381645826_01_0724381645826/image.dat –t
>>> raw /users/peter/desktop/STUFF\ from\ Ian\ Output/NewFile.wav
>>
>> try
>>
>> sox –c2 –b16 –r44100 -e signed-integer image.dat newfile.wav
>>
>> rb
>>

>>> Thanks
>>> -pm
>>>

>>> ________________________________
>>>
>>> “**Confidentiality**
>>> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential, may be
>>> privileged and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee.
>>> Access to this e-mail by any other person is not authorised. If you
>>> are not the intended recipient, you should not disclose, copy,
>>> distribute, take any action or rely on it and you should please
>>> notify the sender by reply. Any opinions expressed are not
>>> necessarily those of the company.
>>>
>>> We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current
>>> legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and
>>> attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your
>>> responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.

> ________________________________
>
> “**Confidentiality**
> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential, may be privileged and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee. Access to this e-mail by any other person is not authorised. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disclose, copy, distribute, take any action or rely on it and you should please notify the sender by reply. Any opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the company.
>
> We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.

Re: What is wrong with this

Mew, Peter
Thank you Dave, this is the correct answer

Cheers
-pm

Sent from my iPad