hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

shan shan

hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

how can i do that?

i have tried sudo apt-get install libsox-fmt-amr-wb

sudo apt-get install libsox-amr-wb

and a few more permutations   to no result

so what is one to do to get it going

has it got to be compiled in  certain way?   please simple instructions will be welcome    thanx    shan

Re: hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

Jan Stary
On Jul 25 08:04:35, shan eric wrote:
> hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

First of all, it is possibly that the Ubuntu package of SoX
already has AMR support compiled in - have you checked?

> how can i do that?

You need to have AMR installed, obviously,
and ./configure needs to find it when you build sox.

> i have tried sudo apt-get install libsox-fmt-amr-wb
> sudo apt-get install libsox-amr-wb
> and a few more permutations   to no result

What exactly do you mean by that?
That you don't know how the AMR package is named?
I don't use Ubuntu, but surely there is a list of the
Ubuntu packages somewhere, so just grep it for 'amr'.
I remember from my Debian days that some of the packages
are (foolishly imho) split into 'package' and 'package-devel',
so you might need to install 'amr-devel' (or whatever it's called).

Once you have amr installed on your system, you need to tell
./confogure about it if it does not find it automagically.
See the summary at the end of ./configure output.
Read './configure --help' and look for amr.

Re: hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

Rob Sykes
I don't think there are any AMR packages for Ubuntu (at least not ones that currently work with SoX), due to licensing restrictions.

So the way I do it, as Jan suggests, is to compile SoX from source, after first having compiled AMR from source.

See the file `INSTALL' in the source distribution for where to find 3rd-party source libraries.  Compiling the AMR libs follows pretty much the same process as for SoX (so on debian/ubuntu: ./configure; make -sj; sudo make install).

Cheers,
Rob

Re: hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

bat guano

> I don't think there are any AMR packages for Ubuntu (at least not ones that currently work with SoX), due to licensing restrictions.
>
> So the way I do it, as Jan suggests, is to compile SoX from source, after first having compiled AMR from source.

Hi
I too am interested in compiling SoX with amr_wb support.

libvo-amrwbenc is compiled and installed on my system for use with FFmpeg.
>From here ---> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/
Is this suitable for SoX?

Using Ubuntu-11.04 and SoX from git.
When I run command ./configure
It shows:-
OPTIONAL FILE FORMATS
amrnb......................yes
 dlopen amrnb..............no
amrwb......................yes
 dlopen amrwb..............no

When I use:-
sox -d output.amr-nb
it is OK.

But when I use:-
sox -d output.amr-wb
it gives:-
sox WARN formats: amr-wb can't encode at 48000Hz; using 16000Hz
sox WARN formats: amr-wb can't encode stereo; setting channels to 1
sox FAIL formats: can't open output file `output.amr-wb': SoX was compiled without AMR-WB encoding support.

The config report is here ---> http://pastebin.com/yVahSBSq

Is there something missing?

In the meantime....
I use this command:-
sox -d -p | ffmpeg -f sox -i - -c:a libvo_amrwbenc -b:a 23.85k -ar 16k -ac 1 output.amr

Re: hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

Jan Stary
> > I don't think there are any AMR packages for Ubuntu (at least not ones that currently work with SoX), due to licensing restrictions.
> >
> > So the way I do it, as Jan suggests, is to compile SoX from source, after first having compiled AMR from source.
> >
> Hi
> I too am interested in compiling SoX with amr_wb support.
>
> libvo-amrwbenc is compiled and installed on my system for use with FFmpeg.
> >From here ---> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/
> Is this suitable for SoX?

This is the AMR implementation I am using.

> Using Ubuntu-11.04 and SoX from git.
> When I run command ./configure
> It shows:-
> OPTIONAL FILE FORMATS
> amrnb......................yes
>  dlopen amrnb..............no
> amrwb......................yes
>  dlopen amrwb..............no

This means your ./configure has found the installed AMR.

> When I use:-
> sox -d output.amr-nb
> it is OK.
>
> But when I use:-
> sox -d output.amr-wb
> it gives:-
> sox WARN formats: amr-wb can't encode at 48000Hz; using 16000Hz
> sox WARN formats: amr-wb can't encode stereo; setting channels to 1
> sox FAIL formats: can't open output file `output.amr-wb': SoX was compiled without AMR-WB encoding support.

I don't think
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/files/opencore-amr/
can do WB encoding; for that you IMHO need
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/files/vo-amrwbenc/

Specifically, I think you have the libopencore-amr[nw]b.so libs
but do not have the libvo-amrwbenc.so library.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to encode into AMR?

Re: hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

bat guano

> > libvo-amrwbenc is compiled and installed on my system for use with FFmpeg.
> > >From here ---> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/

> I don't think
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/files/opencore-amr/
> can do WB encoding; for that you IMHO need
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/files/vo-amrwbenc/
>
> Specifically, I think you have the libopencore-amr[nw]b.so libs
> but do not have the libvo-amrwbenc.so library.

Hi

My bad.
I posted the wrong link.

The package I have is vo-amrwbenc v-0.1.2
>From here ---> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/files/vo-amrwbenc/

The installed files are:-
/usr/local/lib/libvo-amrwbenc.a
/usr/local/lib/libvo-amrwbenc.la
/usr/local/lib/libvo-amrwbenc.so
/usr/local/lib/libvo-amrwbenc.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libvo-amrwbenc.so.0.0.3

On Jul 25 14:05:53, Jan Stary wrote:
> > libvo-amrwbenc is compiled and installed on my system for use with FFmpeg.
> > >From here ---> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/

> > OPTIONAL FILE FORMATS
> > amrnb......................yes
> >  dlopen amrnb..............no
> > amrwb......................yes
> >  dlopen amrwb..............no

> > I don't think
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/files/opencore-amr/
> > can do WB encoding; for that you IMHO need
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/files/vo-amrwbenc/
> >
> > Specifically, I think you have the libopencore-amr[nw]b.so libs
> > but do not have the libvo-amrwbenc.so library.

> My bad.
> I posted the wrong link.
> The package I have is vo-amrwbenc v-0.1.2
> >From here ---> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/files/vo-amrwbenc/

Where does the libopencore-amrnb.so come from then?
Do you have both opencore-amr and vo-amrwbenc installed?
Are you sure the installed sox is linked to the right libraries?
What does "ldd `which sox`" say?

Re: hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

shan shan
ok guys simpler than i thought thanx for input indeed answer was in INSTALL document in sox-14.4.0

the answer was simple

delete sox then install from source enabling

--enable-dl-amrwb

shantiq@shantiq-00000000000000000000000:~/sox-14.4.0$ ./configure --enable-dl-amrwb

[B]info was there all the time in INSTALL document in sox-14.4.0[/B]

A subset of external libraries can be configured to be dlopen()'ed
at run time instead of being linked in. This will allow one to
distribute a binary with optional features that only require
a user to install the missing libraries into their system. This
can be enabled using:

--enable-dl-lame
--enable-dl-mad
--enable-dl-sndfile
--enable-dl-amrnb
--enable-dl-amrwb

then we get that after ./configure i did not bother with nb as i was not looking for that here

OPTIONAL FILE FORMATS
amrnb......................yes
dlopen amrnb..............no
amrwb......................yes
 dlopen amrwb..............yes     here was the missing element
ffmpeg.....................no
flac.......................yes

[B]and then you get the 16000Hz better than the very thin 8000 from nb[/B]

rec myvoice.amr-wb
rec WARN formats: amr-wb can't encode at 48000Hz; using 16000Hz
rec WARN formats: amr-wb can't encode stereo; setting channels to 1

Input File : 'default' (pulseaudio)
Channels : 2
Sample Rate : 48000
Precision : 16-bit
Sample Encoding: 16-bit Signed Integer PCM

In:0.00% 00:00:22.70 [00:00:00.00] Out:360k [ | ] Clip:0 ^C
Aborted.
shantiq@shantiq-00000000000000000000000:~$ play myvoice.amr-wb

myvoice.amr-wb:

File Size: 16.7k Bit Rate: 5.93k
Encoding: AMR-WB
Channels: 1 @ 16-bit
Samplerate: 16000Hz
Replaygain: off
Duration: 00:00:22.48

In:63.8% 00:00:14.34 [00:00:08.14] Out:229k [ =|= ] Clip:0
Aborted.

Re: hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

Pascal Giard
On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM, shan eric <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu
>
> how can i do that?
>

> i have tried sudo apt-get install libsox-fmt-amr-wb
>
> sudo apt-get install libsox-amr-wb
>
> and a few more permutations   to no result
>

> so what is one to do to get it going
>
> has it got to be compiled in  certain way?   please simple instructions will
> be welcome    thanx    shan

If you have a recent version of Ubuntu, i.e. if you have SoX >=
14.3.2-1, libsox-fmt-base contains support for AMR.
It uses libopencore-amrwb0 and libopencore-amrnb0.

You can encode in amr-wb using e.g.
sox source.wav destination.amr-wb

Cheers,

-Pascal
--
Homepage (http://organact.mine.nu)
Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org)

Re: hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

bat guano

> delete sox then install from source enabling
>
> --enable-dl-amrwb

Hi
This hasn't worked for me.
But the error message has changed.

Previously it said:-
sox FAIL formats: can't open output file `output.amr-wb': SoX was compiled without AMR-WB encoding support

Now it says:-
sox FAIL amr: Unable to open amr-wb OpenCore library or amr-wb 3GPP reference library.
sox FAIL formats: can't open output file `output.amr-wb':

Re: hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

bat guano

> sox FAIL formats: can't open output file `output.amr-wb': SoX was compiled without AMR-WB encoding support

Hi

I still can't make SoX output to amr-wb.

It seems with my git compiled SoX...

SoX will DEcode amr-nb
SoX will DEcode amr-wb
SoX will ENcode amr-nb
SoX will not ENcode amr-wb

I think maybe SoX is using is using opencore-amr to DEcode amr-nb and DEcode amr-wb and ENcode amr-nb.

But I think it needs to use vo-amrwbenc to ENcode amr-wb.

Like I said before...

The package I have is vo-amrwbenc v-0.1.2
>From here ---> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/files/vo-amrwbenc/

The installed files are:-
/usr/local/lib/libvo-amrwbenc.a
/usr/local/lib/libvo-amrwbenc.la
/usr/local/lib/libvo-amrwbenc.so
/usr/local/lib/libvo-amrwbenc.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libvo-amrwbenc.so.0.0.3

But though SoX reports:-

OPTIONAL FILE FORMATS
amrnb......................yes
 dlopen amrnb..............no
amrwb......................yes
 dlopen amrwb..............no

It also tells me "SoX was compiled without AMR-WB encoding support".

So probably during compile SoX has found opencore-amr OK but not found vo-amrwbenc.

FFmpeg found vo-amrwbenc OK when compiled from git, so I will carry on using it with SoX.

On Jul 26 22:58:45, bat guano wrote:

> > sox FAIL formats: can't open output file `output.amr-wb': SoX was compiled without AMR-WB encoding support
> >

> Hi
>
> I still can't make SoX output to amr-wb.
>
> It seems with my git compiled SoX...
>
> SoX will DEcode amr-nb
> SoX will DEcode amr-wb
> SoX will ENcode amr-nb
> SoX will not ENcode amr-wb
>
> I think maybe SoX is using is using opencore-amr to DEcode amr-nb and DEcode amr-wb and ENcode amr-nb.
>
> But I think it needs to use vo-amrwbenc to ENcode amr-wb.
>
> Like I said before...
>
> The package I have is vo-amrwbenc v-0.1.2
> >From here ---> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/files/vo-amrwbenc/
>
> The installed files are:-
> /usr/local/lib/libvo-amrwbenc.a
> /usr/local/lib/libvo-amrwbenc.la
> /usr/local/lib/libvo-amrwbenc.so
> /usr/local/lib/libvo-amrwbenc.so.0
> /usr/local/lib/libvo-amrwbenc.so.0.0.3
>
> But though SoX reports:-
>
> OPTIONAL FILE FORMATS
> amrnb......................yes
>  dlopen amrnb..............no
> amrwb......................yes
>  dlopen amrwb..............no
>
> It also tells me "SoX was compiled without AMR-WB encoding support".
>
> So probably during compile SoX has found opencore-amr OK but not found vo-amrwbenc.

I will try for the tird time and then I will give up:

        ldd `which sox`

to see what libraries your binary is actually linked against.

Re: hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

bat guano

> ldd `which sox`
>
> to see what libraries your binary is actually linked against.

Hi

The result of "ldd `which sox`" is listed below.
It shows links to libopencore-amrnb and libopencore-amrwb.

It seems there are 5 relevant amr packages (or more).
1 libopencore-amrnb
2 libopencore-amrwb
3 amrnb (from http://ftp.penguin.cz/pub/users/utx/amr/)
4 amrwb (from http://ftp.penguin.cz/pub/users/utx/amr/)
5 vo-amrwbenc

For amr-wb ENcoding amrwb or vo-amrwbenc must be used (because libopencore-amrwb is only a DEcoder).

In file sox/src/amr-wb.c there's no instruction to use vo-amrwbenc as the amr-wb ENcoder.

The matter was discussed before ---> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.sox/4064
It hasn't been implemented yet.
I will continue to use FFmpeg till then.

"Also, the author of opencore-amr wrote vo-amrwbenc
(providing AMR-WB encoding) - are there any plans
to inclde support for that in SoX?

Jan"

"That library didn't exist when opencore support was originally added
to SoX.  Odd that it wasn't rolled internal to opencore-amr library
itself.  Or maybe it was.  I've not looked.

Patches are welcome to enable support for this vo-amrwbenc library if
someone is interested in that support.

I have a TODO item to let people select between the two versions of
AMR when both are installed but I've never found the time to do that
small task.

Chris"

@ubuntu:~$ ldd `which sox`
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0x001ce000)
        libsox.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libsox.so.3 (0x00f06000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x0058c000)
        libgomp.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgomp.so.1 (0x00517000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00a4c000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x001cf000)
        libltdl.so.7 => /usr/lib/libltdl.so.7 (0x00c9c000)
        libpng12.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpng12.so.0 (0x00c6c000)
        libmagic.so.1 => /usr/lib/libmagic.so.1 (0x0090c000)
        libasound.so.2 => /usr/lib/libasound.so.2 (0x00d65000)
        libopencore-amrnb.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libopencore-amrnb.so.0 (0x00938000)
        libopencore-amrwb.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libopencore-amrwb.so.0 (0x00128000)
        libao.so.4 => /usr/lib/libao.so.4 (0x00110000)
        libFLAC.so.8 => /usr/lib/libFLAC.so.8 (0x0013e000)
        libgsm.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgsm.so.1 (0x00bff000)
        libmad.so.0 => /usr/lib/libmad.so.0 (0x0018a000)
        libid3tag.so.0 => /usr/lib/libid3tag.so.0 (0x00502000)
        libz.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0x001a1000)
        libmp3lame.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libmp3lame.so.0 (0x00331000)
        libtwolame.so.0 => /usr/lib/libtwolame.so.0 (0x003d0000)
        libpulse.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpulse.so.0 (0x008bb000)
        libpulse-simple.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpulse-simple.so.0 (0x003b2000)
        libvorbisenc.so.2 => /usr/lib/libvorbisenc.so.2 (0x005b2000)
        libvorbisfile.so.3 => /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.3 (0x00750000)
        libvorbis.so.0 => /usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0 (0x003f2000)
        libogg.so.0 => /usr/lib/libogg.so.0 (0x00119000)
        libwavpack.so.1 => /usr/lib/libwavpack.so.1 (0x00419000)
        libsndfile.so.1 => /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1 (0x00441000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00ccc000)
        librt.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00e85000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00ee8000)
        libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00759000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x004a8000)
        libX11-xcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11-xcb.so.1 (0x00120000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0x00a65000)
        libICE.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libICE.so.6 (0x001b6000)
        libSM.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSM.so.6 (0x003b7000)
        libXtst.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXtst.so.6 (0x009ff000)
        libxcb-atom.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb-atom.so.1 (0x00123000)
        libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1 (0x004c4000)
        libpulsecommon-0.9.22.so => /usr/lib/libpulsecommon-0.9.22.so (0x00524000)
        libdbus-1.so.3 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdbus-1.so.3 (0x00844000)
        libuuid.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libuuid.so.1 (0x003ac000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXext.so.6 (0x003bf000)
        libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6 (0x00d36000)
        libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x004dd000)
        libwrap.so.0 => /lib/libwrap.so.0 (0x00e7c000)
        libnsl.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libnsl.so.1 (0x004e3000)

On Jul 27 08:02:25, bat guano wrote:
> > ldd `which sox`
> > to see what libraries your binary is actually linked against.
>
> The result of "ldd `which sox`" is listed below.
> It shows links to libopencore-amrnb and libopencore-amrwb.

So it's not linked to vo-amrwbenc, and that's
why it cannot do AMRWB encoding. So that's settled.

Now, why doesn;t the build system pick vo-amrwbenc up
and build sox linked against it is another question.

> It seems there are 5 relevant amr packages (or more).

These are not 'packages', they are individual libraries.

> 1 libopencore-amrnb
> 2 libopencore-amrwb

These two are provided by
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/files/opencore-amr/

> 3 amrnb (from http://ftp.penguin.cz/pub/users/utx/amr/)
> 4 amrwb (from http://ftp.penguin.cz/pub/users/utx/amr/)

right

> 5 vo-amrwbenc

http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/files/vo-amrwbenc/

> For amr-wb ENcoding amrwb or vo-amrwbenc must be used
> (because libopencore-amrwb is only a DEcoder).
> In file sox/src/amr-wb.c there's no instruction to use vo-amrwbenc as the amr-wb ENcoder.
> The matter was discussed before ---> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.sox/4064
> It hasn't been implemented yet.

Yes. It seems that sox's build system ignores the installed vo-amrwbenc.

> I will continue to use FFmpeg till then.

Out of curiosity: why do you need to encode into AMR?

Re: hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

bat guano

> > For amr-wb ENcoding amrwb or vo-amrwbenc must be used
> > (because libopencore-amrwb is only a DEcoder).
> > In file sox/src/amr-wb.c there's no instruction to use vo-amrwbenc as the amr-wb ENcoder.
> > The matter was discussed before ---> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.sox/4064
> > It hasn't been implemented yet.
>
> Yes. It seems that sox's build system ignores the installed vo-amrwbenc.

Hi
If/when a developer is able to implement the change...

>From these 5 packages/libraries:-
1 libopencore-amrnb
2 libopencore-amrwb
3 amrnb
4 amrwb
5 vo-amrwbenc

I think the choice is like this:-
For amr-nb DEcoder link to libopencore-amrnb OR amrnb
For amr-nb ENcoder link to libopencore-amrnb OR amrnb
For amr-wb DEcoder link to libopencore-amrwb OR amrwb
For amr-wb ENcoder link to vo-amrwbenc OR amrwb

Thanks.
;-)

Re: hi guys trying to add amr-wb to my sox setup on Ubuntu

bat guano

> Hi
> If/when a developer is able to implement the change...
>
> >From these 5 packages/libraries:-
> 1 libopencore-amrnb
> 2 libopencore-amrwb
> 3 amrnb
> 4 amrwb
> 5 vo-amrwbenc
>
> I think the choice is like this:-
> For amr-nb DEcoder link to libopencore-amrnb OR amrnb
> For amr-nb ENcoder link to libopencore-amrnb OR amrnb
> For amr-wb DEcoder link to libopencore-amrwb OR amrwb
> For amr-wb ENcoder link to vo-amrwbenc OR amrwb
>
> Thanks.
> ;-)

Hi
I've filed a bug report here ---> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3559994&group_id=10706&atid=110706