install from git, starting from beginning [how to?]

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

install from git, starting from beginning [how to?]

Brian Gibson
I am new to installing from git, and running through terminal (OS X). I would like some help, or step-by-step instructions for how to set everything up and start decoding.

So far, I have run the git install command in terminal, and everything including has downloaded to my Users>me directory.

I've tried running a sox command in terminal, and nothing happens. I have always tried reading the manual, and other txt files, but cannot figure this out.

What are my steps from here? Sox is on my harddrive. Now do I install anything? Where do I put my lame download? how do I configure to decode to mp3 320?

Thanks for the help

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
Read the Whitepaper.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Sox-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sox-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: install from git, starting from beginning [how to?]

Fmiser
> Brian wrote:
>
> I am new to installing from git, and running through terminal (OS
> X). I would like some help, or step-by-step instructions for how
> to set everything up and start decoding.
>
> So far, I have run the git install command in terminal, and
> everything including has downloaded to my Users>me directory.
>
> I've tried running a sox command in terminal, and nothing
> happens. I have always tried reading the manual, and other txt
> files, but cannot figure this out.
>
> What are my steps from here? Sox is on my harddrive. Now do I
> install anything? Where do I put my lame download? how do I
> configure to decode to mp3 320?

I don't use MacOS, so I'm not sure.  Typically, git is used to get
the _source_ code.  The next step would be to compile.  It is
usually easier to use a pre-compiled package, but often that
requires installing some package manager system.

>From the SoX source directory, typically compiling would be done
with these three commands.

        ./configure
        make
        make install

"configure" will try to check the computer for what is available
for the compiling process.  If you haven't compiled any other
software on that computer, most likely there will be a bunch of
errors complaining about various things missing.

--   Philip

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
Read the Whitepaper.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Sox-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sox-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: install from git, starting from beginning [how to?]

Eric Wong
Fmiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >From the SoX source directory, typically compiling would be done
> with these three commands.

Checkouts from git won't include the "configure" file, you can generate
that with:

        autoreconf -i

(You'll need GNU autoconf/automake installed)

And the rest of the steps:

>         ./configure
>         make
>         make install

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
Read the Whitepaper.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Sox-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sox-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: install from git, starting from beginning [how to?]

Chinmay Pendharkar
Another solution might be to use some repository management tool like macports or homebrew. 



I believe both of them have sox.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Eric Wong <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fmiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >From the SoX source directory, typically compiling would be done
> with these three commands.

Checkouts from git won't include the "configure" file, you can generate
that with:

        autoreconf -i

(You'll need GNU autoconf/automake installed)

And the rest of the steps:

>         ./configure
>         make
>         make install

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
Read the Whitepaper.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Sox-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sox-users


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
Read the Whitepaper.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Sox-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sox-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: install from git, starting from beginning [how to?]

Jan Stary
In reply to this post by Brian Gibson
On Feb 04 14:32:08, [hidden email] wrote:
> I am new to installing from git, and running through terminal (OS X). I
> would like some help, or step-by-step instructions for how to set
> everything up and start decoding.

If you are new to this, the easy way for you would probably be
to instal one of the 'package managers' and then install your software
(including sox) via that.

I am using macports (www.macports.org) which has a package of sox
that you can install as simply as

        port install sox

That will download all the prerequisited dependencies,
compile them, install, then download, confogure, compile
and install sox.

Or is there a specific reason you _want_ to install from git?

Jan


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
Read the Whitepaper.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Sox-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sox-users