mp3/lame

Jan Stary
I am trying to understand the role of various components
of the support for MP3 in sox. As I understand it now,

--without-mad           Don't try to use MAD (MP3 Audio Decoder)
--without-id3tag        Don't try to use id3tag
--without-lame          Don't try to use LAME (LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder)
--with-mp3=dyn          load mp3 dynamically

MAD is used for decoding,
id3tag is used for tagging
lame is used for encoding.

What does --with-mp3 really do?

        Jan

Re: mp3/lame

Doug Cook-2
> I am trying to understand the role of various components
> of the support for MP3 in sox. As I understand it now,
>
> --without-mad           Don't try to use MAD (MP3 Audio Decoder)
> --without-id3tag        Don't try to use id3tag
> --without-lame          Don't try to use LAME (LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder)
> --with-mp3=dyn          load mp3 dynamically
>
> MAD is used for decoding,
> id3tag is used for tagging
> lame is used for encoding.
>
> What does --with-mp3 really do?

The sox MP3 plugin (sox/src/mp3.c) can be excluded from sox, compiled
statically into sox, or compiled into a sox plugin. That is controlled
by --with-mp3.

The other flags control how the mp3 plugin loads its libraries. It can
have the mp3 plugin include or exclude support for mad, lame, and
id3tag. In addition, it can load the lame normally or via dlopen.