no default audio device configured

Jarod King
I have installed the latest version of sox for Windows and when I try to record audio for 20 seconds from a microphone I am getting an error message.  The command I am running and error message are:

C:\Program Files\sox-14-4-2>sox -d testfile.wav 00:00:20 -t waveaudio
sox FAIL sox: Sorry, there is no default audio device configured

I have tried this with and without the -t option and get the same error either way.  I have downloaded and installed the Realtek audio driver for my specific computer model from the Acer website.  In Control Panel, I can see the microphone is configured as the default recording device.  I am able to record from other applications such as SoundRecorder, Audacity, Total Recorder, etc.  Why isn't this working?  Thanks!

Re: no default audio device configured

Doug Cook-2
On Windows,

sox -d (other stuff...)

is the same as

sox -t waveaudio default (other stuff...)

The "default" is used as the input filename, but it uses the "waveaudio" input plugin, and the waveaudio input plugin uses "default" to mean "use the wave mapper", which is the way Windows exposes the "default input device". If you don't have a default set, some programs go ahead and try the "first input device", but sox doesn't do that.

If the filename "default" doesn't work, you'll need to find a filename that does. Each input device on your system gets assigned a number (starting at 0) and a name. You can use either the number or the name. The name is generally pretty hard to figure out, so most of the time people just use the number. For that, just go by trial and error until you figure out what number matches up with each of your input devices. On my system, "0" is the built-in microphone, and "1" is the microphone on my USB headphones. So I use:

sox -t waveaudio 1 outputFileName.mp3