playing remote flac

Jan Stary
THis is 14.4.1 as provided by the package of OpenBSD-current.

The Czech radio streams classic in FLAC:
$ mplayer http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac

This stream can be played without problems using mplayer,
but not SoX. The OGG stream of the same broadcast plays fine:
$ play http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.ogg

Trying to playing the remote FLAC with SoX results in:

$ play http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac
[long wait]
^C
http fetch aborted.
play FAIL formats: can't open input file URL
`http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac': FLAC ERROR whilst decoding metadata

Is this a bug, or is it simply not supported yet?
Local FLAC files play fine of course.

        Jan

Re: playing remote flac

Doug Lee
On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 06:47:46PM +0100, Jan Stary wrote:

> THis is 14.4.1 as provided by the package of OpenBSD-current.
>
> The Czech radio streams classic in FLAC:
> $ mplayer http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac
>
> This stream can be played without problems using mplayer,
> but not SoX. The OGG stream of the same broadcast plays fine:
> $ play http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.ogg
>
> Trying to playing the remote FLAC with SoX results in:
>
> $ play http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac
> [long wait]
> ^C
> http fetch aborted.
> play FAIL formats: can't open input file URL
> `http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac': FLAC ERROR whilst decoding metadata
>
> Is this a bug, or is it simply not supported yet?
> Local FLAC files play fine of course.

Confirmed, and it seems to try reading a lot of data, as if a massive
amount is needed before playback start. Parameters tried to no avail:
--buffer 1024, --ignore-length, and a sequence like

wget -O - <url> | sox -t flac -

All same result, same SoX version, MacOS.

--
Doug Lee                 [hidden email]                http://www.dlee.org
SSB BART Group           [hidden email]   http://www.ssbbartgroup.com

Re: playing remote flac

On Nov 30 18:47:46, [hidden email] wrote:

> THis is 14.4.1 as provided by the package of OpenBSD-current.
>
> The Czech radio streams classic in FLAC:
> $ mplayer http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac
>
> This stream can be played without problems using mplayer,
> but not SoX. The OGG stream of the same broadcast plays fine:
> $ play http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.ogg
>
> Trying to playing the remote FLAC with SoX results in:
>
> $ play http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac
> [long wait]
> ^C
> http fetch aborted.
> play FAIL formats: can't open input file URL
> `http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac': FLAC ERROR whilst decoding metadata

H, I forgot to add that thsi is ogg-encapsulated flac,
not a native flac. Could that be the reason?

Re: playing remote flac

Pascal Giard
On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 30 18:47:46, [hidden email] wrote:
>> THis is 14.4.1 as provided by the package of OpenBSD-current.
>>
>> The Czech radio streams classic in FLAC:
>> $ mplayer http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac
>>
>> This stream can be played without problems using mplayer,
>> but not SoX. The OGG stream of the same broadcast plays fine:
>> $ play http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.ogg
>>
>> Trying to playing the remote FLAC with SoX results in:
>>
>> $ play http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac
>> [long wait]
>> ^C
>> http fetch aborted.
>> play FAIL formats: can't open input file URL
>> `http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac': FLAC ERROR whilst decoding metadata
>
> H, I forgot to add that thsi is ogg-encapsulated flac,
> not a native flac. Could that be the reason?

I don't know but weirdly enough, I get a different error message on
Ubuntu with the same version (14.4.1):
$ play http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac
play FAIL formats: bad input format for file URL
`http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac': sampling rate was not
specified

The following drops an error:
$ play -r 48000 -t ogg -c 2 http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac
play FAIL formats: can't open input file URL
`http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac': Input not an Ogg Vorbis
audio stream

And that one just freezes (never returns or does anything):
$ play -r 48000 -t flac -c 2 http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac

-Pascal
--
Homepage (http://organact.mine.nu)