"Overlevels"

Mew, Peter
Hi
I have found that when modern heavily peak limited music is sample rate converted in sox, the resultant output files have a tendency to show clipping. That is to say more than 3 consecutive samples at peak coding. Dropping the level 0.1, or 0.2dB during the SRC will usually cure the clipping (this "Clipping" may or not be audible, but for the purists it shouldn't occur)
Is there any function in SOX that will predict, by how much the level might need to be reduced so that the output of the SRC does not clip.
BTW, this is common to most SRCs when processing modern loud music and can probably be put down to intersample overload

thanks
-pm

“**Confidentiality**
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential, may be privileged and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee. Access to this e-mail by any other person is not authorised. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disclose, copy, distribute, take any action or rely on it and you should please notify the sender by reply. Any opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the company.

We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.

Re: "Overlevels"

Jan Stary
On May 13 19:06:29, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi
> I have found that when modern heavily peak limited music is sample rate converted in sox, the resultant output files have a tendency to show clipping. That is to say more than 3 consecutive samples at peak coding. Dropping the level 0.1, or 0.2dB during the SRC will usually cure the clipping (this "Clipping" may or not be audible, but for the purists it shouldn't occur)
> Is there any function in SOX that will predict, by how much the level might need to be reduced so that the output of the SRC does not clip.
> BTW, this is common to most SRCs when processing modern loud music and can probably be put down to intersample overload

See the --guard option and friends.

        Jan

Re: "Overlevels"

Mew, Peter
Hi Jan
I have,yes,thank you.
I'm concerned if there would be any sonic differences, other than level, using this function

Cheers
-pm

Sent from my iPad