"can't set sample rate 48000" on MacOS

Jan Stary
This is 14.4.0 @ MacOSX 10.5.8; with this last version, everything
seems to be working well. In particular, play(1) got fixed, as noted
at release.

However, there is this detail that I assume is related
to the interaction with CoreAudio, MacOSX's audio system:

        $ rec -r48000 file.wav trim 0 5
        fCoreAudioDriverUID AppleHDAEngineInput:1
        rec WARN formats: can't set sample rate 48000; using 44100

        Input File     : 'default' (coreaudio)
        Channels       : 2
        Sample Rate    : 44100
        Precision      : 32-bit
        Sample Encoding: 32-bit Signed Integer PCM

        In:0.00% 00:00:05.02 [00:00:00.00] Out:240k  [      |      ]
        Clip:0
        Done.

What is realy the reason sox cannot record using the 48k rate?
This happens with whatever sample rate I try to set for recording
- the only rate that rec(1) accepts for recording is 44100.
(The recorded file _is_ 48k, but that's sox resampling for me.)

I am quite sure that the hardware is capable of using other rates
too.  Is it CoreAduio telling sox that this is the only supported rate?

        Jan

Re: "can't set sample rate 48000" on MacOS

Jan Stary
On Apr 21 16:25:08, [hidden email] wrote:

> This is 14.4.0 @ MacOSX 10.5.8; with this last version, everything
> seems to be working well. In particular, play(1) got fixed, as noted
> at release.
>
> However, there is this detail that I assume is related
> to the interaction with CoreAudio, MacOSX's audio system:
>
> $ rec -r48000 file.wav trim 0 5
> fCoreAudioDriverUID AppleHDAEngineInput:1
> rec WARN formats: can't set sample rate 48000; using 44100
>
> Input File     : 'default' (coreaudio)
> Channels       : 2
> Sample Rate    : 44100
> Precision      : 32-bit
> Sample Encoding: 32-bit Signed Integer PCM
>
> In:0.00% 00:00:05.02 [00:00:00.00] Out:240k  [      |      ]
> Clip:0
> Done.
>
> What is realy the reason sox cannot record using the 48k rate?
> This happens with whatever sample rate I try to set for recording
> - the only rate that rec(1) accepts for recording is 44100.
> (The recorded file _is_ 48k, but that's sox resampling for me.)
>
> I am quite sure that the hardware is capable of using other rates
> too.  Is it CoreAduio telling sox that this is the only supported rate?

This is still the case with 14.4.1 on MAcOSX 10.5.8.

I understand the newer MacOSX vesrions have obsoleted
the audio interface used on "older" systems such as 10.5.8.
Is it relevant to this?

        Jan

Re: "can't set sample rate 48000" on MacOS

Chris Bagwell

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Apr 21 16:25:08, [hidden email] wrote:
> This is 14.4.0 @ MacOSX 10.5.8; with this last version, everything
> seems to be working well. In particular, play(1) got fixed, as noted
> at release.
>
> However, there is this detail that I assume is related
> to the interaction with CoreAudio, MacOSX's audio system:
>
>       $ rec -r48000 file.wav trim 0 5
>       fCoreAudioDriverUID AppleHDAEngineInput:1
>       rec WARN formats: can't set sample rate 48000; using 44100
>
>       Input File     : 'default' (coreaudio)
>       Channels       : 2
>       Sample Rate    : 44100
>       Precision      : 32-bit
>       Sample Encoding: 32-bit Signed Integer PCM
>
>       In:0.00% 00:00:05.02 [00:00:00.00] Out:240k  [      |      ]
>       Clip:0
>       Done.
>
> What is realy the reason sox cannot record using the 48k rate?
> This happens with whatever sample rate I try to set for recording
> - the only rate that rec(1) accepts for recording is 44100.
> (The recorded file _is_ 48k, but that's sox resampling for me.)
>
> I am quite sure that the hardware is capable of using other rates
> too.  Is it CoreAduio telling sox that this is the only supported rate?

This is still the case with 14.4.1 on MAcOSX 10.5.8.

I understand the newer MacOSX vesrions have obsoleted
the audio interface used on "older" systems such as 10.5.8.
Is it relevant to this?

        Jan

Its the audio interface telling SoX it doesn't support that rate.  Its a very quirky interface.

Your supposed to be able to get 48000 working but those solutions seems to kill other systems.

OSX gives a loud warning during compile that the audio interface we are using has been deprecated for long time now and not to use it.

Since I'm not much of an OSX programmer, I don't even know what the replacement interface is so there's not much hope in behavior being fixed until we find a OSX developer that can do the needed work.

Chris

On Feb 26 10:19:36, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 21 16:25:08, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > This is 14.4.0 @ MacOSX 10.5.8; with this last version, everything
> > > seems to be working well. In particular, play(1) got fixed, as noted
> > > at release.
> > >
> > > However, there is this detail that I assume is related
> > > to the interaction with CoreAudio, MacOSX's audio system:
> > >
> > >       $ rec -r48000 file.wav trim 0 5
> > >       fCoreAudioDriverUID AppleHDAEngineInput:1
> > >       rec WARN formats: can't set sample rate 48000; using 44100
> > >
> > >       Input File     : 'default' (coreaudio)
> > >       Channels       : 2
> > >       Sample Rate    : 44100
> > >       Precision      : 32-bit
> > >       Sample Encoding: 32-bit Signed Integer PCM
> > >
> > >       In:0.00% 00:00:05.02 [00:00:00.00] Out:240k  [      |      ]
> > >       Clip:0
> > >       Done.
> > >
> > > What is realy the reason sox cannot record using the 48k rate?
> > > This happens with whatever sample rate I try to set for recording
> > > - the only rate that rec(1) accepts for recording is 44100.
> > > (The recorded file _is_ 48k, but that's sox resampling for me.)
> > >
> > > I am quite sure that the hardware is capable of using other rates
> > > too.  Is it CoreAduio telling sox that this is the only supported rate?
> >
> > This is still the case with 14.4.1 on MAcOSX 10.5.8.
> >
> > I understand the newer MacOSX vesrions have obsoleted
> > the audio interface used on "older" systems such as 10.5.8.
> > Is it relevant to this?
> >
> >         Jan
> >

> Its the audio interface telling SoX it doesn't support that rate.  Its a
> very quirky interface.
>
> Your supposed to be able to get 48000 working but those solutions seems to
> kill other systems.

Meaning other MacOSX versions?

> OSX gives a loud warning during compile that the audio interface we are
> using has been deprecated for long time now and not to use it.

Exactly what version of CoreAudio is SoX using now?

> Since I'm not much of an OSX programmer, I don't even know what the
> replacement interface is so there's not much hope in behavior being fixed
> until we find a OSX developer that can do the needed work.

I am not much of an OSX developer either, and I only have my 10.5.8.
But I am willing to test any regressions on it :-)