sox: convert wav to mp3

René Bastian

Hi,

i must convert .waf files to .mp3 files.
Maybe it is possible with sox?
But sox says:
sox FAIL formats: no handler for file extension `mp3'

a solution?

(GStreamer is installed)

with thanks,

--
René Bastian
www.pythoneon.org

Re: sox: convert wav to mp3

Benjamin-63

Am 24.03.2012 12:51, schrieb René Bastian:

> Hi,
>
> i must convert .waf files to .mp3 files.
> Maybe it is possible with sox?
> But sox says:
> sox FAIL formats: no handler for file extension `mp3'
>
> a solution?
>
> (GStreamer is installed)
>
> with thanks,

Hi,

You can use lame for that

- Benjamin

Re: sox: convert wav to mp3

On Mar 24 12:51:34, René Bastian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i must convert .waf files to .mp3 files.
> Maybe it is possible with sox?

If .waf means .wav, then yes.
(You can also do it with many other tools.)

> But sox says:
> sox FAIL formats: no handler for file extension `mp3'

Your sox was installed without MP3 support.
How did you install sox?
What system are you on?

> (GStreamer is installed)

gstreamer has nothing to do with it.

Re: sox: convert wav to mp3

René Bastian
Le Sat, 24 Mar 2012 13:20:24 +0100,
Jan Stary <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Mar 24 12:51:34, René Bastian wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > i must convert .waf files to .mp3 files.
> > Maybe it is possible with sox?
>
> If .waf means .wav, then yes.

It is for a German friend; he pronounces .waf :)

> (You can also do it with many other tools.)
>
> > But sox says:
> > sox FAIL formats: no handler for file extension `mp3'
>
> Your sox was installed without MP3 support.
> How did you install sox?

I installed sox14.4.0 ... sitting :)

> What system are you on?

sox14.4.0
Debian 6.0

> > (GStreamer is installed)
>
> gstreamer has nothing to do with it.

OK

René Bastian
www.pythoneon.org

Re: sox: convert wav to mp3

Ulrich Klauer-2
René Bastian <[hidden email]>:

> sox14.4.0
> Debian 6.0

You need the libsox-fmt-mp3 package, also version 14.4.0 (i.e. from unstable).

Ulrich

Re: sox: convert wav to mp3

Bill Bell-5
On the PC I use ffmpeg.  Everything is built in.  No need to look for
libraries.  I don't understand why mp3 is not a native format.

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Ulrich Klauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> René Bastian <[hidden email]>:
>
>> sox14.4.0
>> Debian 6.0
>
> You need the libsox-fmt-mp3 package, also version 14.4.0 (i.e. from unstable).
>
> Ulrich

Regards,  Bill Bell

Re: sox: convert wav to mp3

Fmiser
> Bill Bell wrote:

> On the PC I use ffmpeg.  Everything is built in.  No need to
> look for libraries.  I don't understand why mp3 is not a
> native format.

MP3 is NOT free.  It is patented.  So it does not fit with free
software.  If you want to use it, you have to make the
connection.

Vorbis and flac are natively supported - because they are free.

--   Philip

Re: sox: convert wav to mp3

Ulrich Klauer-2
Bill Bell <[hidden email]>:

> On the PC I use ffmpeg.  Everything is built in.  No need to look for
> libraries.  I don't understand why mp3 is not a native format.

You're free to make your own monolithic build if that's what you prefer. It's just that Debian has different preferences, with the advantage that unneeded components don't take up space.

ffmpeg/av* uses dynamic libraries too, by the way. There is just no need to reinvent the wheel.

Ulrich

Re: sox: convert wav to mp3

Bill Bell-5
ffmpeg is free.  How do they get around this?

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Ulrich Klauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bill Bell <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On the PC I use ffmpeg.  Everything is built in.  No need to look for
>> libraries.  I don't understand why mp3 is not a native format.
>
> You're free to make your own monolithic build if that's what you prefer. It's just that Debian has different preferences, with the advantage that unneeded components don't take up space.
>
> ffmpeg/av* uses dynamic libraries too, by the way. There is just no need to reinvent the wheel.
>
> Ulrich

Regards,  Bill Bell

Re: sox: convert wav to mp3

Jan Stary
On Apr 10 06:00:08, Bill Bell wrote:
> ffmpeg is free.  How do they get around this?

They bullshit around it, saying

http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html
Q: Does FFmpeg use patented algorithms?
A: We do not know, we are not lawyers so we are not qualified to answer this.

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Ulrich Klauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Bill Bell <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >> On the PC I use ffmpeg.  Everything is built in.  No need to look for
> >> libraries.  I don't understand why mp3 is not a native format.
> >
> > You're free to make your own monolithic build if that's what you prefer. It's just that Debian has different preferences, with the advantage that unneeded components don't take up space.
> >
> > ffmpeg/av* uses dynamic libraries too, by the way. There is just no need to reinvent the wheel.
> >
> > Ulrich

> Regards,  Bill Bell

Re: sox: convert wav to mp3

Colin Sheaff-2
AFAIK, FFmpeg doesn't have 'native' mp3 support, but requires the LAME library for mp3 encode/decode. The FFmpeg group doesn't distribute builds - just the source. It's up to others to maintain the binaries and if someone builds and distributes ffmpeg with mp3 support that's not their problem, they just provided the source and link to others' binary builds.

Also, mp3 software patents are really a US problem, so some may host binaries outside the US. It's a real legal grey area that's best avoided if possible, but it's not that hard, really to build your own sox binary with mp3 support. I'm not a lawyer, but I think compiling with LAME support is perfectly legal for personal use. Once you're using it professionally, you should buy a license.

Colin

2012/4/10 Jan Stary <[hidden email]>
On Apr 10 06:00:08, Bill Bell wrote:
> ffmpeg is free.  How do they get around this?

They bullshit around it, saying

http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html
Q: Does FFmpeg use patented algorithms?
A: We do not know, we are not lawyers so we are not qualified to answer this.

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Ulrich Klauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Bill Bell <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >> On the PC I use ffmpeg.  Everything is built in.  No need to look for
> >> libraries.  I don't understand why mp3 is not a native format.
> >
> > You're free to make your own monolithic build if that's what you prefer. It's just that Debian has different preferences, with the advantage that unneeded components don't take up space.
> >
> > ffmpeg/av* uses dynamic libraries too, by the way. There is just no need to reinvent the wheel.
> >
> > Ulrich
> >

> --
> Regards,  Bill Bell

Re: sox: convert wav to mp3

Bill Bell-5
Thanks for clearing that up.  I do have an ffmpeg binary with mp3
support.  I tried to compile sox with mp3 support on the PC.  I
couldn't find any step by step instructions and gave up after half a
day.  I just use sox for 1 task.  I have some mp3 lectures recorded
and several of the professors pause a lot between sentences.  I use
the sox silence option to remove pauses.  Some lectures are 30%
shorter.  I convert the mp3 to wav using ffmpeg, run sox and convert
it back to mp3 using ffmpeg.  It works well and avoids messing with
sox and mp3 support.  I recommend this approach at least on the PC.

--
Regards,  Bill Bell

Re: sox: convert wav to mp3

Jan Stary
On Apr 10 15:37:40, Bill Bell wrote:
> I tried to compile sox with mp3 support on the PC.  I couldn't find
> any step by step instructions and gave up after half a day.

./configure --with-mad --with-lame --with-id3tag --with-mp3

Re: sox: convert wav to mp3

On Apr 10 12:58:28, Colin Sheaff wrote:
> AFAIK, FFmpeg doesn't have 'native' mp3 support,

A glimpse at libavformat/mp3enc.c suggests otherwise.

Re: sox: convert wav to mp3

Tobias Rapp
Jan Stary wrote:
> A glimpse at libavformat/mp3enc.c suggests otherwise.

To my knowledge this file is only reposible for the MP2/MP3 *format*
(ID3 tags, VBR info chunk, etc.). MP3 encoding and decoding seems to be
handled via libavcodec/libmp3lame.c.

Regards,
Tobias

Re: sox: convert wav to mp3

Doug Cook-2
I'm not familiar with all of the packaging/policy considerations
involved, but I would have assumed that sox mp3 --with-dlopen-lame
would have been the fallback for any situation where ---with-lame is
unacceptable (instead of putting mp3 support into unstable).

In any case, sox's support for mp3 is entirely up to the package
maintainer and is not something that sox maintainers can actually
control. Sox can be packaged with or without support for almost
everything.

Mp3 support definitely is a complicated feature of sox. Sox is almost
too flexible here, as it is easy to become confused.
- Sox can have its MP3 support excluded, included, or built as a plugin.
- The support for MP3 decode (libmad) can be excluded,
statically-linked, dynamically-linked, or dlopened.
- The support for MP3 encode (lame) can be excluded,
statically-linked, dynamically-linked, or dlopened.

As far as I can tell, the MP3 support should always either be built-in
to sox or provided in the standard set of plugins (not the optional
"extra" set of plugins). The decode support should always be included
(statically-linked, dynamically-linked, or dlopened, whatever is
appropriate for the platform), never excluded. Same with the encode
support. But in all cases, I'll defer to the specific platform's
package maintainer for the final decision.

Re: sox: convert aac to raw

Mew, Peter
Hi
Can sox convert aac (.m4a) files to .raw

Thanks
-pm

Music from EMI

This e-mail including any attachments is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received it in error please advise the sender immediately by return email and then delete it from your system. The unauthorised use, distribution, copying or alteration of this email is strictly forbidden. If you need assistance please contact us on +44 20 7795 7000.

This email is from a unit or subsidiary of EMI Group Limited.

Registered Office: 27 Wrights Lane, London W8 5SW

Registered in England No 229231.

Re: sox: convert aac to raw

Rob Rohan-2
Hi Peter,

I am just a tinker with sox, so hold out for a better answer than this, but...

With a default install it doesn't appear that sox can reading m4a files.  However, there might be a way to compile in a library to read aac / m4a files - I don't see it when running configure though

OPTIONAL FILE FORMATS
amrnb......................no
amrwb......................no
ffmpeg.....................no
flac.......................no
gsm........................yes (in-tree)
lpc10......................yes (in-tree)
mp3........................no
 id3tag....................no
 lame......................no
 mad.......................no
oggvorbis..................no
sndfile....................no
wavpack....................no

ffmpeg can do what you are asking, and sox can use ffmpeg - so I believe the answer is yes, but it doesn't look like it will just work if you do a common 'apt-get install sox' kind of thing.

On Apr 19, 2012, at 3:17 AM, Mew, Peter wrote:

> Hi
> Can sox convert aac (.m4a) files to .raw
>
> Thanks
> -pm

> Music from EMI
>
> This e-mail including any attachments is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received it in error please advise the sender immediately by return email and then delete it from your system. The unauthorised use, distribution, copying or alteration of this email is strictly forbidden. If you need assistance please contact us on +44 20 7795 7000.
>
> This email is from a unit or subsidiary of EMI Group Limited.
>
> Registered Office: 27 Wrights Lane, London W8 5SW
>
> Registered in England No 229231.

             Rob Rohan (罗汉伦)
             http://robrohan.com
             http://twitter.com/robrohan

Re: sox: convert aac to raw

Pascal Giard
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Rob Rohan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I am just a tinker with sox, so hold out for a better answer than this, but...
>
> With a default install it doesn't appear that sox can reading m4a files.  However, there might be a way to compile in a library to read aac / m4a files - I don't see it when running configure though

[...]
> ffmpeg can do what you are asking, and sox can use ffmpeg - so I believe the answer is yes, but it doesn't look like it will just work if you do a common 'apt-get install sox' kind of thing.

Well, libsox-fmt-ffmpeg provides the ffmpeg format library for SoX. So
yeah, "apt-get install libsox-fmt-ffmpeg". However, ffmpeg integration
in SoX currently requires some love from a developer as it often fails
at doing what it is suppose to do.

It may be worth giving it a try though.

HTH,

-Pascal
--
Homepage (http://organact.mine.nu)
Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org)

Re: sox: convert aac to raw

On Apr 19 11:17:19, Mew, Peter wrote:
> Can sox convert aac (.m4a) files to .raw

When compiled --with-ffmpeg, it can read m4 files via ffmpeg,
and convert them to whichaver of the other supported formats.
However, ffmpeg integration in sox is very flaky. You are
probably better off just using ffmpeg(1) directly, or just
run them though faad(1).

> This e-mail including any attachments is confidential

As confidential as a post to a public mailing list can be.

> The unauthorised use, distribution, copying or alteration of this email
> is strictly forbidden.

Blimey, now I am in trouble.