tag transfer from flac to aiff during conversion

tag transfer from flac to aiff during conversion

Bengt Nilsson-4
When converting a flac file to aiff, I use the command (example)

sox 7\ Please\ Don\'t\ Stop.flac -t aiff 7\ Please\ Don\'t\ Stop.aiff

I would like the music (id3?) tag information to be transferred to the output file in this process.
It would seem this is actually the case, since if I do
soxi 7\ Please\ Don\'t\ Stop.aiff
I get:

Input File     : '7 Please Don't Stop.aiff'
Channels       : 2
Sample Rate    : 44100
Precision      : 24-bit
Duration       : 00:04:00.23 = 10593996 samples = 18017 CDDA sectors
File Size      : 63.6M
Bit Rate       : 2.12M
Sample Encoding: 24-bit Signed Integer PCM
Comments       :
TITLE=Please Don't Stop
ARTIST=Rigmor Gustafsson with radio.string.quartet.vienna
ALBUM=Calling You
DATE=2010
GENRE=Jazz
TRACKTOTAL=13
TRACKNUMBER=7
DISCNUMBER=1
DISCTOTAL=1
ISRC=DEA891000206
DESCRIPTION=(c) + (p) ACT Music + Vision GmbH + Co. KG
COMPOSER=Richard Bona / John Stephens
HRA=www.highresaudio.com
ENCODER=TwistedWave

However, If I open the file.aiff with a tag editor such as kid3-qt, it seems to contain no tag information at all.
Same thing with the mpd Music Player Daemon, the file is not recognized as tagged. VLC does not see it either.

soxi does not display what kind of tag format is stored in the file (id3, vorbis, etc.)

To get a recognizable tag, I need to add an id3 tag with kid3-gt and manually fill in the fields. After this, it is properly read by mpd and VLC.

What is happening here? Can someone explain?

BN

Re: tag transfer from flac to aiff during conversion

Ulrich Klauer-2
Bengt Nilsson <[hidden email]>:

> What is happening here? Can someone explain?

The information is stored in COMT (comment) chunks in the AIFF file, not as ID3.

Ulrich