tag transfer from flac to aiff during conversion

tag transfer from flac to aiff during conversion

Bengt Nilsson-4
Bengt Nilsson <bnilsson11@...>:

> What is happening here? Can someone explain?

The information is stored in COMT (comment) chunks in the AIFF file, not as ID3.

Ulrich

Ok, thanks.
Is there any sox switch that would transfer the source id3 to the target file in the conversion process?
The switch-space for sox is quite extensive, I might have missed it…

Bengt Nilsson
Ansåsvägen 8
438 53 Hindås
0301-22150

Re: tag transfer from flac to aiff during conversion

Ulrich Klauer-2
Bengt Nilsson <[hidden email]>:

> Is there any sox switch that would transfer the source id3 to the
> target file in the conversion process?

No, there isn't any. ID3 for AIFF isn't supported.

Ulrich

Bengt Nilsson <bnilsson11@...>:

> Is there any sox switch that would transfer the source id3 to the
> target file in the conversion process?

No, there isn't any. ID3 for AIFF isn't supported.

Ulrich

Is ID3 in AIFF not supported in sox specifically, or is it not supported in the general sense?

I have been using ID3 in AIFF for a long time, works fine.
Works with VLC, MPD, Audacity, and maybe more.
It is the only uncompressed format that supports tags.
Am I wrong?

BN

Bengt Nilsson <[hidden email]>:

> > > Is there any sox switch that would transfer the source id3 to
> the > > target file in the conversion process?
> > No, there isn't any. ID3 for AIFF isn't supported.
> Is ID3 in AIFF not supported in sox specifically, or is it not
> supported in the general sense?

Not in SoX. The SoX format handler for AIFF only supports tags in COMT chunks.

> I have been using ID3 in AIFF for a long time, works fine.
> Works with VLC, MPD, Audacity, and maybe more.
> It is the only uncompressed format that supports tags.
> Am I wrong?

Generally, ID3 tags could be embedded into any file format that is
extensible, e.g. by supporting IFF-style chunks. There is no technical
reason that WAV files with ID3 tags are uncommon, it is just a matter
of convention.

Some file formats (like FLAC) have an established tagging system that
isn't ID3.

Ulrich