tag transfer from flac to aiff during conversion

tag transfer from flac to aiff during conversion

Bengt Nilsson-4
Bengt Nilsson <bnilsson11@...>:

> Is there any sox switch that would transfer the source id3 to the
> target file in the conversion process?

No, there isn't any. ID3 for AIFF isn't supported.

Ulrich

Ok, let me rephrase:

I understand from the answer that ID3 in AIFF not supported in sox specifically.
Any philosophical argument why not?

BN

Re: tag transfer from flac to aiff during conversion

Bengt Nilsson-4
> > > Is there any sox switch that would transfer the source id3 to
> the > > target file in the conversion process?
> > No, there isn't any. ID3 for AIFF isn't supported.
> Is ID3 in AIFF not supported in sox specifically, or is it not
> supported in the general sense?

Not in SoX. The SoX format handler for AIFF only supports tags in COMT chunks.

> I have been using ID3 in AIFF for a long time, works fine.
> Works with VLC, MPD, Audacity, and maybe more.
> It is the only uncompressed format that supports tags.
> Am I wrong?

Generally, ID3 tags could be embedded into any file format that is
extensible, e.g. by supporting IFF-style chunks. There is no technical
reason that WAV files with ID3 tags are uncommon, it is just a matter
of convention.

Some file formats (like FLAC) have an established tagging system that
isn't ID3.

Ulrich

Thanks for the answer. Any future plans for AIFF id3 or taglib tags?

Re: tag transfer from flac to aiff during conversion

Ulrich Klauer-2
Bengt Nilsson <[hidden email]>:

> I understand from the answer that ID3 in AIFF not supported in sox specifically.
> Any philosophical argument why not?

I guess the reason is simply that when the AIFF format handler for SoX was written in the early 1990s, ID3 didn't even exist yet, and nobody has added support afterwards either.

Generally, support for reading and writing non-audio data (such as tags, instrument information, loops) within SoX is limited and somewhat random. It is also difficult and complex to do this in a correct and complete way, because tagging systems and their capabilities differ wildly (e.g., free-form vs. closed, requiring some form of "translation table"; UTF-8 vs. a limited charset; length restrictions; mandatory date/time values linked to tags).

So I think this is better left to specialized tools, and I probably won't work on extending tagging support; but others might, of course.

Ulrich

Re: tag transfer from flac to aiff during conversion

danielkathee
have you tried iDealshare VideoGo? it can fast and batch convert aiff to flac, wav, mp3, ogg, wma, ac3, ape and etc

in fact, it also support convert flac to aiff, wav, mp3 and etc

it has both windows version and mac version

besides converting aiff, it also hellps to convert wav, wma, flac, ape, dts, ogg, m4a and etc

Re: tag transfer from flac to aiff during conversion

Ninalucklove
I encountered the same issue and just found an tool which can solve the issue easily.

Try it.

Re: tag transfer from flac to aiff during conversion

hmiocwealr
Turn to this guide about how to convert flac to aiff or aiff to flac.

Many people recommend it. Hope it's useful for you.

Re: tag transfer from flac to aiff during conversion

rachelgreenhappy
I use a software called iDealshare VideoGo for Mac to convert FLAC to AIFF, Apple Lossless, WAV, MP3, AAC on Mac.

In fact, it also has Windows version, really great app. the only limit is it is shareware need to pay money. Anyway, i think it is worth for that.