tuning / power spectrum / dominant frequencies / spectogram

tuning / power spectrum / dominant frequencies / spectogram

Age A.
Hi all,

To detemine the exact tuning of recordings, I need to know the frequency, for example whether an A sounds at 441 Hz or 442 Hz.
An exact measurement of the around 10 most dominant frequencies of the whole song would do the job.
For technical reasons, reliable, usable freqencies are between 250 hz and 2000 Hz.

I tried:   sox <filename> -n stat -freq 2>data.txt

However, this only gives the power of 2048 frequency-points, with intervals (0, 11.7, 23,4, 35,2, 46,9Hz, etc).
It doesn't give the extact frequencies because it does a Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) on the signal at 4096 sample intervals, without overlapping and windowing.

I can find these frequencies manually with Audicity's spectum analyzer, but am looking for software that can output this info.
Scripts are also welcome, but I've never really programmed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Age

Re: tuning / power spectrum / dominant frequencies / spectogram

Sergei Steshenko-2
Try GNU Octave or Scilab - both can perform FFT on any number of samples and both can read WAV files.

Probably also SciPy, though I've never used it.

Anyway, FFT is a commodity now.

Regards,
  Sergei.

[...]

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: tuning / power spectrum / dominant frequencies / spectogram

Gregorio Garcia Karman
+1 to Sergei's suggestions. If you are not a programmer, perhaps you could also check whether Sonic Visualizer fits your needs. It's FFT can handle up to 32768 points and has various windowing / overlapping settings. Pitch visualization is directly provided in the spectrogram view and you can customize the concert pitch in the preferences pane.

Regards

On 19.04.2013, at 14:24, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

> Try GNU Octave or Scilab - both can perform FFT on any number of samples and both can read WAV files.
>
> Probably also SciPy, though I've never used it.
>
> Anyway, FFT is a commodity now.
>
> Regards,
>  Sergei.

Re: Play Command

Mew, Peter
Hi
I'm looking at the PLAY command.
Is it possible to pause/unpause the play so it continuous to play from
where it was paused.
Or
Can the Play command be made to report its position in the file being
played
Or
Can the play command be interrogated to report its position in the file
being played

Thanks
For any help

-pm

Music from EMI

This e-mail including any attachments is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received it in error please advise the sender immediately by return email and then delete it from your system. The unauthorised use, distribution, copying or alteration of this email is strictly forbidden. If you need assistance please contact us on +44 20 7795 7000.

This email is from a unit or subsidiary of EMI Group Limited.

Registered Office: 364-366 Kensington High Street, London W14 8NS

Registered in England No 229231.

Re: Play Command

Pascal Giard
Hi,
 excuse me if these answers are too naive.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Mew, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
> I'm looking at the PLAY command.
> Is it possible to pause/unpause the play so it continuous to play from
> where it was paused.

(Assuming you are under anything but Windows' console).

You can suspend the process and start it again.
When running in a console, Ctrl+z will suspend the process (having the
effect of a pause).
Executing "fg" will bring it back to life (effect of unpausing).

> Or
> Can the Play command be made to report its position in the file being
> played

When running play in the console, you'll notice that play already does
that by default (unless you're using the -q or --no-show-progress
parameters). The position is reported in hh:mm:ss.ms.

> Or
> Can the play command be interrogated to report its position in the file
> being played

Not sure what you want to do here...

Hope this helps!

-Pascal
--
Homepage (http://organact.mine.nu)
Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org)

Re: Play Command

Mew, Peter
Thanks Pascal
Will the same commands work if I'm not using a console.
ie Windows command line
Or mac terminal
My Aim is to use Sox as a player for commands issued by another app. (Stop, Play, Pause, Unpause, etc)
I may and try to use the RATE option to quickly skip through the file as well
I Would Rather not invoke any console windows, although I can suppress them myself if necessary

Cheers
-pm

 excuse me if these answers are too naive.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Mew, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
> I'm looking at the PLAY command.
> Is it possible to pause/unpause the play so it continuous to play from
> where it was paused.

(Assuming you are under anything but Windows' console).

You can suspend the process and start it again.
When running in a console, Ctrl+z will suspend the process (having the effect of a pause).
Executing "fg" will bring it back to life (effect of unpausing).

> Or
> Can the Play command be made to report its position in the file being
> played

When running play in the console, you'll notice that play already does that by default (unless you're using the -q or --no-show-progress parameters). The position is reported in hh:mm:ss.ms.

> Or
> Can the play command be interrogated to report its position in the
> file being played

Not sure what you want to do here...

Hope this helps!

-Pascal
--
Homepage (http://organact.mine.nu)
Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org)
COMunité/LACIME: École de technologie supérieure (http://www.comunite.ca) Integrated Microsystems Laboratory: McGill (http://www.iml.ece.mcgill.ca)

Precog is a next-generation analytics platform capable of advanced analytics on semi-structured data. The platform includes APIs for building apps and a phenomenal toolset for data science. Developers can use our toolset for easy data analysis & visualization. Get a free account!

Music from EMI

This e-mail including any attachments is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received it in error please advise the sender immediately by return email and then delete it from your system. The unauthorised use, distribution, copying or alteration of this email is strictly forbidden. If you need assistance please contact us on +44 20 7795 7000.

This email is from a unit or subsidiary of EMI Group Limited.

Registered Office: 364-366 Kensington High Street, London W14 8NS

Registered in England No 229231.

Re: Play Command

Mew, Peter
Hi
I'm trying to play a headerless PCM 16bit, 44.1, 2 channel file
I'm using

Play Infile -c 2 -b 16 -r 44.1k -e signed-integer (Infile is Image.dat)

I'm getting an error "WAVE:RIFF Header not Found"

How do I tell PLAY that it's a headerless file and it shouldn't expect a
header

Thanks For any help

-pm

BTW this a MAC, and I'm running the command from Terminal

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Mew, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> I'm trying to play a headerless PCM 16bit, 44.1, 2 channel file
> I'm using
>
> Play Infile -c 2 -b 16 -r 44.1k -e signed-integer (Infile is Image.dat)
>
> I'm getting an error "WAVE:RIFF Header not Found"
>
> How do I tell PLAY that it's a headerless file and it shouldn't expect a
> header

As the manpage says, you can either rename Image.dat to Image.raw OR
prepend "-t raw" before the filename.

-Pascal
--
Homepage (http://organact.mine.nu)
Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org)
COMunité/LACIME: École de technologie supérieure (http://www.comunite.ca)
Integrated Microsystems Laboratory: McGill (http://www.iml.ece.mcgill.ca)

Re: Play Command

Mew, Peter
Hi Pascal
I think I must be a bit thick

PathToPLAY -c 2 -r 44100 -b 16 -t raw PathToIMAGE.DAT
Gives me the error "data encoding or sample size was not specified"

I couldn't see any reference to -t raw in the documentation

Any Ideas what I'm doing wrong

Thanks
-pm

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Mew, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> I'm trying to play a headerless PCM 16bit, 44.1, 2 channel file I'm
> using
>
> Play Infile -c 2 -b 16 -r 44.1k -e signed-integer (Infile is
> Image.dat)
>
> I'm getting an error "WAVE:RIFF Header not Found"
>
> How do I tell PLAY that it's a headerless file and it shouldn't expect
> a header

As the manpage says, you can either rename Image.dat to Image.raw OR prepend "-t raw" before the filename.

-Pascal
--
Homepage (http://organact.mine.nu)
Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org)
COMunité/LACIME: École de technologie supérieure (http://www.comunite.ca) Integrated Microsystems Laboratory: McGill (http://www.iml.ece.mcgill.ca)

Precog is a next-generation analytics platform capable of advanced analytics on semi-structured data. The platform includes APIs for building apps and a phenomenal toolset for data science. Developers can use our toolset for easy data analysis & visualization. Get a free account!

Music from EMI

This e-mail including any attachments is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received it in error please advise the sender immediately by return email and then delete it from your system. The unauthorised use, distribution, copying or alteration of this email is strictly forbidden. If you need assistance please contact us on +44 20 7795 7000.

This email is from a unit or subsidiary of EMI Group Limited.

Registered Office: 364-366 Kensington High Street, London W14 8NS

Registered in England No 229231.

Re: Play Command

phofman
http://linux.die.net/man/1/sox , http://linux.die.net/man/7/soxformat -
look at parameters -e (--encoding) and -t (--type)

On 22.4.2013 21:26, Mew, Peter wrote:
> Hi Pascal
> I think I must be a bit thick
>
> PathToPLAY -c 2 -r 44100 -b 16 -t raw PathToIMAGE.DAT
> Gives me the error "data encoding or sample size was not specified"
>
> I couldn't see any reference to -t raw in the documentation

Re: Play Command

Mew, Peter
Hi Pascal
OK I Got it
I needed -t raw AND -e signed as well as -c -r -b

Thanks For your help

-pm

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Mew, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> I'm trying to play a headerless PCM 16bit, 44.1, 2 channel file I'm
> using
>
> Play Infile -c 2 -b 16 -r 44.1k -e signed-integer (Infile is
> Image.dat)
>
> I'm getting an error "WAVE:RIFF Header not Found"
>
> How do I tell PLAY that it's a headerless file and it shouldn't expect
> a header

As the manpage says, you can either rename Image.dat to Image.raw OR prepend "-t raw" before the filename.

-Pascal
--
Homepage (http://organact.mine.nu)
Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org)
COMunité/LACIME: École de technologie supérieure (http://www.comunite.ca) Integrated Microsystems Laboratory: McGill (http://www.iml.ece.mcgill.ca)

Precog is a next-generation analytics platform capable of advanced analytics on semi-structured data. The platform includes APIs for building apps and a phenomenal toolset for data science. Developers can use our toolset for easy data analysis & visualization. Get a free account!

Music from EMI

This e-mail including any attachments is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received it in error please advise the sender immediately by return email and then delete it from your system. The unauthorised use, distribution, copying or alteration of this email is strictly forbidden. If you need assistance please contact us on +44 20 7795 7000.

This email is from a unit or subsidiary of EMI Group Limited.

Registered Office: 364-366 Kensington High Street, London W14 8NS

Registered in England No 229231.

Precog is a next-generation analytics platform capable of advanced analytics on semi-structured data. The platform includes APIs for building apps and a phenomenal toolset for data science. Developers can use our toolset for easy data analysis & visualization. Get a free account!

Music from EMI

This e-mail including any attachments is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received it in error please advise the sender immediately by return email and then delete it from your system. The unauthorised use, distribution, copying or alteration of this email is strictly forbidden. If you need assistance please contact us on +44 20 7795 7000.

This email is from a unit or subsidiary of EMI Group Limited.

Registered Office: 364-366 Kensington High Street, London W14 8NS

Registered in England No 229231.

Re: Play Command

Andreas Ruge
Hi Peter,

just a quick confirmation: I've been using that very command you're
talking about for listening to DDP masters with some software I've
written a couple of years ago:

play -b 16 -r 44100 -c 2 -t raw -e signed-integer IMAGE.DAT

I've also found starting playback at a specific time very useful
(e.g. to jump to a track start given that you have read them from
the PQ descriptor file):

play -b 16 -r 44100 -c 2 -t raw -e signed-integer IMAGE.DAT trim 3:40

Best
Andreas

Re: Play Command

Mew, Peter

[...]